Bodywork Scratched by Toerag !!!!

wooly A2

Bodywork Scratched by Toe Rag !!!!

I Have been away visiting relatives in Eastbourne and after visiting the Toby Carvery in Eastbourne i came back to my car and noticed some toerag for some reason unbeknown to myself had keyed the side of my car what moron would do this just for the sake of a split seconds worth of madness ....

I Got in touch with the management as they had CCTV and even though there was a camera pointing roughly in my direction they say that nobody has gone near my car , I Have passed all the details onto my insurance company .....
4 of us walked upto the car and never noticed it before we pot in the car but on coming back we could not miss it ....

My question is when a car gets keyed in this way will the whole panel have to be resprayed
or is it just a case of matey boy with his polishing wheel and lots of elbow grease with a bit of magic dust thrown in .....
The car is Pine green which i could imagine
will be a pig to match as its a sort of pearlescant colour ....Car was washed a few weeks ago so its a little on the dirty side .....

Last edited:
I hate when that happens, it happened to my Mercedes which was newly sprayed a few days earlier ... Barstewards!! I feel for you mate.

Anyway looks too deep to get it out with a buffer, therefore it is likely that it will need a respray, get the whole side of the car blown in otherwise you will notice different colours on different panels.

SARGE

:(

Surely someone had walked past your car in 30mins-1hour. My guess is the pub does not want to get involved, how long did it take them to check the CCTV, depending on the system if it is an onsite security system and old tape they prob wouldn't stop it and check back untill the tape is full I forget how long they run for 72hours-7 days. If they had electronic ones then It wouldn't of took them long to check.

:( Thats a real shame Carl. It looks like a respray job unfortunately unless one of our bodyshop gurus has any ideas. Its dreadful when individuals have no respect for other hard earned and cherished kit - but I suppose thats society for you. Hope you have protected NCD and know a top drawer paint shop in your area. I've had a couple of insurance claims over the years and have never gone with the insurers recommended bodyshop unless I have got some real good feedback on them ( had some bad experiences with resprays when I wiz a laddie!!) :D

:(

Surely someone had walked past your car in 30mins-1hour. My guess is the pub does not want to get involved, how long did it take them to check the CCTV, depending on the system if it is an onsite security system and old tape they prob wouldn't stop it and check back untill the tape is full I forget how long they run for 72hours-7 days. If they had electronic ones then It wouldn't of took them long to check.
My car was parked to the rear of the restaurant i was parked there for at least 11/2 hours but it was right on the edge of the car park so it could only have been the people that we parked next to and i gave them loads of room so i dont understand it .....

I Phoned the carvery that night and they said they would check it over the next day as they did'nt have time , i phoned the next day and they said they where too busy too check
10 minutes later i get a phonecall back saying they had checked the video and they reckon no one went near my car i guess they just dont want to get involved .....

Hopefully the Insurance will chase them up as well , i have protected noclaims but i will still have to pay the excess .....

I Have been advised by the insurance company to use the same garage that resprayed the bumper a couple of years ago , i was really pleased with there work but obviously the bumper is an easy area to mask off and repaint ......

If they only paint the damaged area and i am not happy with the result can i make them repaint the whole panel .....

To my knowledge, on a pearlescent or metallic finish the full side will need washed in to blend the colour, so I wouldnt worry. If you were happy with their work on your pride and joy it should be restored to former glory. Dont be shy to ask for their best fitter and painter to do the work! :D

Last edited:
So sorry to see and hear of this Carl - some people just have absolutely no basic respect of others feelings or possessions (and so should be rounded up and placed on a remote, uninhabited island with others of their sort) - I'm sure that the finished repair will be invisible - paint repair systems can work wonders these days and I've seen Noodlefreaks car for proof!

It may well be worth filing this with the police, as they can insist that the cctv footage is viewed and scrutinised to see if they can close the case down with a suspect.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi looking at the scratch i would say that it will be a paint job, the colour it will be three panels rear 1/4 and the two doors no need to paint the front wing as the scratch onlt just goes on to the front door and there will be plenty of room for fading in. but some body shops don't blend colours, so if i was you i would make the scratch go on to the back 1/4 just to make sure the colour matches the back door, the front wing will be fine, the colour will not go anywhere near half way across the front door

Cheers Phil

Totally gutted for you mate. :mad:

Unfortunately today's society is full of morons who have no respect for other peoples belongings or other people come to that. Hopefully whoever is responsible gets their comeuppance and some.

Fingers crossed that the repair is first class Carl - look forward to seeing you and your "pristine" A2 at ADI.

Take care bud and try not to lose too much sleep - easier said than done I know.

Good luck with everything.

Darren

Hi looking at the scratch i would say that it will be a paint job, the colour it will be three panels rear 1/4 and the two doors no need to paint the front wing as the scratch onlt just goes on to the front door and there will be plenty of room for fading in. but some body shops don't blend colours, so if i was you i would make the scratch go on to the back 1/4 just to make sure the colour matches the back door, the front wing will be fine, the colour will not go anywhere near half way across the front door

Cheers Phil
Now i no why we call u the grim reaper LOL !!! so if they blend the panels in rather than paint the whole panel will this make for a better job if im not happy with it can i make them paint it again ....

Now i no why we call u the grim reaper LOL !!! so if they blend the panels in rather than paint the whole panel will this make for a better job if im not happy with it can i make them paint it again ....

We blend colours all the time and the only one that we had a probem with is the Electric orange (focas st) three stage colour what a pig.
But your colour should look ok as a blend, but for your Q that will have to depend on the body shop, if they are close to you and you can ask them what there colour is like.
I had a crash some years back and it was a local body shop + it was someone that use to work for us as the bodyshop sup' and when he saw me
his face just dropped and he said don't worry we will do a good job, well at the time our silver on the fords was a blend and they painted mine edge to edge spot on, so it just goes to show you it depends on the paint they use and who is painting it. But you can try to get the full side painted

Cheers Phil

Just to reiterate, to save hassle/costs/problems, insist on having the whole side resprayed, trust me I have had several experiences on this matter, and you will be happier this way ... just my tuppence worth :)

SARGE

Im gutted for you, dont and never will understand why people do this. I would make a police report, and advise them re the cctv to get it viewed quick, you never know it might have happened to other people using the carpark.

Sorry that you have had this happen, some people have no respect for others.

I used to own a nice little Renault 5 22 years ago and got rear ended on a roundabout in Plymouth when it was just about a year old. The Renault dealer in Plymouth (maybe a different company today) did the repair but did not blend in the paint so the finish looked a pig! They claimed that the paint was the correct part number and variations could be expected as normal but this was not acceptable even then. I lost confidence in that companys ability and took the car elsewhere for a fix and played at the insurance comapny. As I took it elsewhere I ended up paying for the corrective work done by a VW dealer I knew at home but it was finished perfectly. The insurance company lost the business too.

My advice is if you claim from the insurance company make it clear verbally and in writing that you expect the paint to match and be correctly blended in.

I'm sure that your A2 will look just as good as before. Best of luck.

Forgot to say

My boss has an A3 in Akoya silver and required a new rear bumper + respray after a taxi nudged it; when he went to pick it up they had done a lovely job with a nice finish; shame it was Crystal blue...
LOL Is that supposed to make me feel better ...:p

Carl, so sorry to hear this, you must be so angry. I hope those responsible will be at the receiving end of something 10 times worse than what they have done to your car.

A young inexperienced driver reared into my driver side door and made a small dent. Since it was all insurance, I took it to Audi's recommended bodyshop, the frist thing they said was, complete respray on the side with a new door panel, they said something along the line of blending the colour for the door will work but the paint's metallic pattern can set differently and result in a different shade, probably take the same amount of effort compared to a respray. They said since it is insurance claim anyway, do it the best way. And the end result was superb, the colour is completely consistent across the side.

HI to paint a side at some point it will line up with another panel, so the rear 1/4 and the front wing will be the bend panels as they will not spay edge to edge , because it would be out to the bonnet and the tailgate . so if they do do a full side you will still have a blend

Cheers Phil

Back