Bonnet drain cups - TDI 90

Dalibu

A2OC Donor
Hi - hope someone can help. When I look under the bonnet of my TDI 90, it seems the drain cup circled, cannot possibly align with the drain grommet in the bonnet. Can anyone point me to the engine bay photos of a TDI 90 for reference please? Thank you!
tdi-90-engine-bay-circled.jpg

Hi - hope someone can help. When I look under the bonnet of my TDI 90, it seems the drain cup circled, cannot possibly align with the drain grommet in the bonnet. Can anyone point me to the engine bay photos of a TDI 90 for reference please? Thank you!View attachment 93545
Morning,

The drain cup in question is certainly in the wrong place. As all bonnets are the same, regardless of engine type and arrangement leads me to believe that the drain cups are in the very same place in all UK A2s, that said I’ve not had a TDI 90 before so could be totally wrong.

Heres a couple of pictures Ive borrowed from Andrew @ajsellors:

DSC03357.jpg

This is of course not a TDI 90 but it should be in the very same location

DSC03359.jpg

Zoomed in a little to assist in placement.

I cannot remember if there is a 10mm or 13mm bolt holding it in place or if it simply clips to the frontal arrangement. I can see in your picture a bolt hole though so assume it is indeed held in place with a bolt. I'll grab a picture of my engine bay in the next hour or 2 unless someone else is able to do this quicker for you.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom, it was so helpful that you found those photos for me, thank you! The garage I have been using for the past two years has placed my drain cup wrongly, and as you can see in these photos, the sensor wire is jammed into the clips that are meant for the drain cup!
IMG_2751_sensor_wrong_placement.jpg
IMG_2752_sensor_wire.jpg

So I have moved that wire (damage to the protective wrap, internal wire looks ok) behind the big air pipe (not sure where that goes as it is dead-ended) and placed the drain cup using the two clips into the proper receptacle.
IMG_2754_rain_cup_placed.jpg
IMG_2755_pipe_back.jpg

So I have moved that wire (damage to the protective wrap, internal wire looks ok) behind the big air pipe (not sure where that goes as it is dead-ended) and placed the drain cup using the two clips into the proper receptacle.View attachment 93554View attachment 93555
Hello again,

Very happy to have of been assistance. Glad you've been able to relocate the drainage cup to its natural place to dispel water away from the engine just as Audi intended. So it does just clip in with no bolt required. A perfect result which I'm sure your engine with thank you in preventing unnecessary repair bills.

It's worth mentioning this to you garage to ensure they don't do it to another A2 in the future. Also worth checking any other areas that have been worked on to check that nothing else has been reinstalled incorrectly if they're not overly familiar with our aluminium friends. Im certainly no mechanic and this is probably about the limit of my knowledge of whats underneath of the bonnet.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back