BP ultimate fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gasman

has anyone tried these new fuels. sounds like an excuse to fleece the customer to me. They talk about higher 'cetane' ratings on the diesel - what is that?
Does it really enhance performance?

Do you mean BP's new performance diesel fuel, or Shell's Optimax petrol ir BP's super-duper petrol?

I have run my petrol cars on Shell Optimax for a year or more now and have noticed an increase in smooth running of the engine, slightly better "punch" when taking off and maybe a small decrease in fuel consumption.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Have used Ultimate as a trial over the last month. No discernible performance feel to the car BUT a definite INCREASE in fuel consumption, both on long motorway runs and locally. I shall be returning to my beloved Shell.
Cetane is the diesel equivalent of RON Octane - a fuel's ability to provide power basically, a measure of its potency. The higher the rate the more cleanly it burns.

[24]
No real reson for this post other than to get off the 'damned' number of posts.

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

heh heh...

so, people have had an actual decrease in fuel economy?! wow... that's pretty... wild...

we have an FSI and i haven't dared use the BP super-duper fuel yet for the price difference...
kinda glad i haven't! yikes....

-gerard

2003 1.6 SE FSI Cobalt Blue & 1968 Dodge Charger

hi
have tried the shell ultimate diesel and i must admit there does seem to be a difference not as sluggish and now using this type of diesel costing 75.9 i get more miles and better accleration.
i also use the Redex diesel additive aswell this gives it a real kick apon acceleration plus it cleans all the fuel system and cylinders out.

cheers ;)

A.D.Simmons

1.6 FSi are supposed to be run on 98(preferred) or 95 octane.
Have tried both Shell & BP "high quality" fuels and not noticed any real difference. I still run mine on 95 octane (mainly from Sainsburys) with no noticeable effect on running, comsumption or service interval. Service indicator is still showing it scheduled for 19000 odd miles.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, Tinted Security Glass

[8D] We have been using Shell Optimax since the first week of ownership of my wife's Polo 1.4 SE FSI in March 2003.

I wouldn't use any other fuel. The improvement in performance/fuel economy is very impressive, and makes the car feel as though it has a 1.6 engine instead. By comparison, the car felt sluggish when used with 'normal' petrol.

I'm surprised that Audi doesn't include the 1.4 FSI in the A2, in addition to the 1.6 FSI.

[37]
Supermarket fuel? (much sucking of teeth and intake of breath)
Dregs from the crack - the last catalytic drops - no detergents and a (slightly lower) octane or cetane rating.
You can feel thye difference in performance and see the increase in consumption.
I never use it (unless I am totally desperate) and always top up with decent stuff to dilute it.
All chemical analysis backs up the relatively inferior nature of the stuff.
Not all fuels are clear, odourous liquids that go bang when exposed to a spark (or heat).
[10]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

Some time ago, Ok quite a while, I went on an engineering visit to an oil refinery. Tankers with all sorts of brand names on their sides were being filled from the same facility and nozzles. A technician told me that the same product went into each tanker regardless of brand name. Have things changed, were they bullsh****ng me? Anyone REALLY know?

I read that at the time of delivery, additional chemicals are added to the fuel. So Shell would have detergents etc added to bog standard fuel. Just something I read on another forum so could be a load of sphericals.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

wonder how many litres of detergent you get charged for per tankful? I've tried the new top price diesel from BP and it sucks - no discernable increase in economy or performance and 5 p per litre more. Now seeing as diesel engines are less sensitive than their petrol cousins to fuel quality i wouldn't buy it unless it really reduced emissions. There was an article in Flight International from an engineer running an A2 1.2 TDi in Belgium on home brewed Bio Diesel and he noticed only a very small reduction in economy c.f. the regular stuff - so much for specially blended fuels......

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

I think that any damaging effects on the engine would be only discernible over the longer term, together with the economy issues. Very difficult for the private user to judge. I run a Honda on Optimax, and it seems to hesitate on lower octane fuels, including BP Ultimate. I'm pretty sure of this but couldn't prove it!

Yes I know this is an A2 site, but I did think hard before getting the Civic - which I regret now the 90hp diesel A2 has arrived. [:I]

Welcome
and I am sorry about the bummocks decision. There is nothing worse than knowing you have dropped a blob.
Enjoy the Honda!

No need to rub it in! By the way, I haven't found a test of the A2 with 90hp TDI: any clues[19] May as well enjoy the pain while I have it.

[37]
No rubbing intended. I may well have done it myself. Only time will tell - about 28 days worth in fact.[25]
[29]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

Anyone with an FSI engine - ie the 1.6 A2, need to use a sulphur free fuel. Currently there is no such thing in this country, but optimax is the next best thing, the sulphur content is 10ppm.

I emialed BP about the sulphur content of their new fuel, but it is exactly the same as any other fuel. Therefore:

Optimax = worth the money (especailly if you have an FSI)

BP Ultimate = waste of money

I have just filled my 1.4SE with Optimax. It definitely runs smoother and I think quieter, it seems to have more grunt, and the DIS is recording very low consumption figures most of the time. I'll try another tankful when this is low, but it is 5p per litre dearer, surely that must cancel out a lower fuel consumption.

my wife filled up the tank with Shell - not sure if it was Optimax...

and i noticed right away the a2 was running more smoothly and had more power...

i didn't know she used Shell petrol till i asked her because i was wondering why the car was running better...

we usually us the BP petrol as we have 2 stations near our house....

2003 1.6 SE FSI Cobalt Blue & 1968 Dodge Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back