Brake Disc & Pad query

I am in the process of hunting ebay for a set of front discs and pads. There seems to be a difference between the sets available regarding the warning wires on the pads. Are these needed or are they transferable from the old set of pads to a new set?....

Can anyone recommend a place to get these kits?....the reason for my "confusion" is I am hunting for the wife, as it's her car....

all advice really appreciated...

cheers
Mike...husband of Misty...

I have bought Mintex pads and discs from ebay as recommended by Skip.
Theres a wire on one of the pads on each set - I assume this is as per the original fitment. They are very good quality at a great price. :D

I have bought Mintex pads and discs from ebay as recommended by Skip.
Theres a wire on one of the pads on each set - I assume this is as per the original fitment. They are very good quality at a great price. :D

I have found these ones...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-A3-19...39:1|66:4|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mintex-Front-...39:1|66:4|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

as I am not too clued up, it is a bit of a minefield as I don't want to get the wrong set.....

After an mot today, my discs/pads need renewing I did notice they was looking a bit naff, the good old vw dealer picked up that the car had been standing and the pads had deterated over this time. I said about the mintex and he recommended some groved or red pads ones or green, or black diamond for about £55-60. The mintex are the budget ones so just wondering what I should do, what are the next level up from mintex.

Hi Richard
Don't discount Mintex discs and pads. They are excellent value for money and have good reports from several club members.
If you want to spend more then Brembo Max discs are popular and available from GSF for around £80 a pair. Their part number is 60180F and although they only list them for A3's, they also fit A2's as well. Pagid TQ or EBC Green stuff pads are a good match for these discs

Cheers Spike

After an mot today, my discs/pads need renewing I did notice they was looking a bit naff, the good old vw dealer picked up that the car had been standing and the pads had deterated over this time. I said about the mintex and he recommended some groved or red pads ones or green, or black diamond for about £55-60. The mintex are the budget ones so just wondering what I should do, what are the next level up from mintex.

You'll find that Mintex brake box kits are pretty damned good - they haul Tank down from 3 figure speeds, so can't be that shoddy!

You'll also find that EBC Redstuff pads are not available for the A2 - only the Greenstuff and to be honest, they wear too quickly and leave massive amounts of brake dust on the alloys - not brilliant, although they do have a good initial bite.

Grooved or drilled discs are also un-necessary for the A2 - they basically act as graters on the pads and wear them down too much. Unless you are in the habit of doing a lot of track-days, then they are overkill and a waste of money (but they look so nice!!).

Stick with the Mintex I'm fitting for you tomorrow and see what you think - at £45 for a set, they'll hardly be an expensive experiment will they?

Cheers,

Mike

I'd agree with Mike that the Mintex sets are cool and will be great for the A2. I used to work in the friction material business in the UK (Ferodo Limited), and I can vouch for the quality of our competitors Mintex. Their M171 compeition material was always a strong competitor with Ferodo DS11.

i also agree that drilled and grooved disks are not necessary. I do think that the Brembo disks are good quality, and might last a little longer than some of the rubbish that is passed off as "OEM quality". The OEM are pretty pants IMHO, so go with the Mintex set and see how you go.

Mike says that EBC pads give off lots of brake dust, and I can't argue with that. RedStuff may not be able for the A2 and would be overkill anyway, as the A2 stops on a tanner on Greenstuff and you'd struggle to make it fade.

I use EBC Greenstuff not because I am entranced by the promise of super efficient braking, but because (although they give off a lot of dust) the dust is not too aggressive on alloy wheels - and this is important to me as I do 2.5k miles a month and I am very lazy at cleaning it off! EBC pads contain lots less wire wool as a binding compound, which was introduced when friction material had to dump the use of asbestos. If you are more diligent at cleaning then you won't have a problem.

If you have ordered the Mintex stuff, as Skipton says it will be great.

I have - Greenstuff (non-aggressive dust), and Zimmerman cross drilled disks (they look nice, and were all that GSF had in stock when I needed the parts for the weekend).

I may well choose to spend less next time!

Don't regret your purchase. You'll be cool.

Oh, and did I mention, the price is an absolute steal! EBC greens are £56, without disks!

AlanB

Last edited:
Does anyone have a phone number or address for this "shop"?
They are listed in Yorkshire, so I would probably try to pop in and pay cash rather than line Ebays pockets!
Need to do all four discs and pads on my car in next 6 months.

Does anyone have a phone number or address for this "shop"?
They are listed in Yorkshire, so I would probably try to pop in and pay cash rather than line Ebays pockets!
Need to do all four discs and pads on my car in next 6 months.

Its in manchester. Search ebay for audi a2 brake discs. They are £45 and £11 p&p

Grooved or drilled discs are also un-necessary for the A2 - they basically act as graters on the pads and wear them down too much. Unless you are in the habit of doing a lot of track-days, then they are overkill and a waste of money (but they look so nice!!).
Mike

Well it had to happen sometime - I don't fully agree with Mike on this one.

I'm very light on brakes and found that plain discs tend to glaze the pads, resulting in poor initial bite, particularly in the wet. I have used Brembo Max grooved discs for about 4 years now and have never had that problem. In addition the grooves don't seem to have any effect on pad wear (standard Audi) In fact I have never changed any pads because they wore out - rust normally lifts the anti squeel coating or gets under the edges of the friction material before this happens.

Cheers Spike

i have a very loud squeek from my front offside brake, i can see there is plenty of pad, how do i cure the squeeking??

is it the pad vibrating in the caliper? spmeone suggested copperslip between pad and pot or ive heardsome people grind the metal edges of the pad reducing iits overall size within the caliper.

anyone have a fix?

...You'll also find that EBC Redstuff pads are not available for the A2 - only the Greenstuff and to be honest, they wear too quickly and leave massive amounts of brake dust on the alloys - not brilliant, although they do have a good initial bite.

on the point about track day. I've done full track day on standard discs and pads and it was 29C hot. Snetterton has stupidly long straights with really heavy braking from over 90mph. No problem at all on std Audi stuff :) As a comparison, friend's AP 'racing' discs chewed through a 3/4 new set of mintex 4xx 'sports' pads on a Focus ST (For those who may have seen Drivers republic, it was the red ST against Chris Harris' blue ST). Basically, the most wear comes from wrong kind of disc material on wrong kinds of pads and not the grooves. The epoxy and core pad material combinations have different melting points for different use, so for track days, it is not grooved/drilles ones you want, it is the right combo you need.

Aside, from my friends who are serious track drivers, pagids are generally praised for tracks though certain models aren't really road friendly; mintex makes good 'sports' grade stuff, like the above story, don't mix sports grade stuff with race grade; EBC is to be avoided (whatever colour), too many people reported instance disintegration on track and it was not the green stuff.

For the A2, you'll hardly need anything too serious. I believe Ian also did track days and the 'ring on standard brakes.

Back