Brake light bulb gone... BEEEEEP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philhusbands

Hi everyone.

I've tried a search on this, but I was surprised to find that it appears that no-one else has experienced this...

Happily searching for a parking space and BEEEEPPP!! DIS starts flashing a mystery yellow icon at me. It kinda looked like a bulb with a cross through it surrounded by brackets. The quick realisation that the DIS was then repeating this activity (with the BEEEEPPP) whenever I used the brake, suggested that there was a problem with the brake lights.

Parking space found, a consultation with the manual confirmed that this is indeed the way that my A2 tells me that I have a malfunctioning brake light. My nearside one in fact. The offside and center lights are fine.

So, at least I know. Which is nice. I mean, how often do you see your own brake lights? Most likely never! The first thing that alerts you to the fact that one has 'gone' is the friendly copper handing you a vehicle defect notice.
So a useful function yes, But must it continually repeat the flashing and the goddamn BEEEPPPing every bloody time I use the brake? A town drive with its stopping and starting results in my A2 sounding like a ripped-off version of an old Kraftwerk dance tune! BEEEPPP!! BEEEPPP!! BEEEPPP!! BEEEPPP!! BEEEPPP!! Arrgghh!!

Still, I cant argue with results. I'm certain to replace the bulb as soon as I possibly can! I havent consulted the manual on this yet, but is changing bulbs in the tailight cluster easy enough?

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Well at least that was thought through and that with the other 17 brake lights (counting the 16 central LED ones as well) still working... If the brake light switch goes (as it has FOUR times on my car) you have NO LIGHTS WHATSOEVER and the only warning you get inside is the diesel glow plug light flashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very safe I have to say... But is seems the DIS does more than what the brochure led you to believe. It also tells you in the same fashion obviously that a front headlight bulb has gone.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back