Brake replacement

My mintex brake box with front discs and pads has just arrived from the ebay shop someone become on here, great kit and really good price

some questions before I start

1 - Is there a link to the jacking points somewhere in the forum - want to use axle stands and a trolley jack but the manual only shows the point for the scissor jack (can find them myself of course but pointers always help)

2 - what does everyone recommend for anti squeal lube? Do I need to goto Audi or can I just use some Ate?

3 - from experience do the disc retainer screws come out without issue? Or like some other cars do they need an impact driver and replacements?

Easy job to do but its the knowledge up front that helps things along :)

hi mj
axle stands can be placed just in-board of the vehicles' jacking socket, both front and rear. have a little look and you will see the re-enforced areas. do NOT use a trolley jack on the rear axle beam though! the best anti-squeal grease to use is a copper based product, but NOT on the friction surfaces and very sparingly! as far as the disc retaining screws go, i would have thought they were supplied with the disc, certainly mine were with the ATE discs. regardless, a little wd40 and they should come free if corroded. if you resort to more aggressive ways (hammer & chisel) you can always fit the wheels back on and get a new set to fit later - use the plastic wheel fitting tool to assist.

hope that helps.

blue skies

tony

Great thanks, good old copper slip it is then - the audi document recommends something different but I guess this new stuff is just more cost effective without copper content

I will use the scissor to lift and then support with stands as you suggest, only need to replace the fronts so this is a simple job

the reason I ask about the screws is that on my Honda they are nasty brass things that ninequality times out or ten need to be destroyed to remove - I am hoping Audi use ss or something better

I always have an impact driver on stand-by for this job. You never know how tight the previous fitter did the screw. Plus mixed materials and salt water makes corrosion very likely.

The countersunk head screw is only to hold the disc in place until the wheel bolts are fitted. I always lube the thread and just nip it up with a screwdriver. It can't come out with the wheel in place, offers no mechanical strength to the brake disc assy and its good to know the next disc change will be a doddle.

Cheers Spike

Does anyone bother with giving the discs a light dusting with a rotary sander? Or do you guys just whack em on and let the pads sort it out?

Does anyone bother with giving the discs a light dusting with a rotary sander? Or do you guys just whack em on and let the pads sort it out?

Not with new discs - I just degrease the braking surfaces and clean the mounting face and check for burrs etc, ready for installation.
With old discs, if they are within thickness spec, I angle grind any lip on the rim of the disc then go over the faces with an orbital sander using a fairly coarse abrasive disc

Cheers Spike

all done.. took coulpe of hours as I am out of practise on this kind of thing and very rarely get my hands dirty these days

This is what I bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260116078430&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Great value and arrived next day - kit contains 2 x discs and 4 x pads (1 pad for DIS connection)

I needed to get a 7mm hex key to release the caliper top and bottom pins and a brake piston compressor tool

One stupid mistake I did make was to fit the RH side first and I fitted the DIS inboard pad here - I stupidly assumed someone had removed the cable as it broke and it was only when i did the passenger side I realised my mistake :D just a warning to others... only one pad has the wear sensor and this goes on the passenger side

Took her out for a bit of a test run and all seems fine... few hundred miles and I guess full braking force will return..

The old pads were nuked and the discs had a really bad ridge.. :eek:

done about 80 miles and the new Mintex brake box set it excellent.. bedded in nicely, no squeal or unwanted noises, judder or rattle..

Very please... recommend to anyone else wanting to replace their knackered discs and pads in future... :D

Back