Brake replacements

TDi Si

Well, my brakes have about had it now so need to replace them.

What are peoples opinions on the best normal day-to-day driving style brakes to use? I am mainly motorway driving with a few roundabout in MK to go round.

Thinking of doing both front and rear plus brake fluid change.

Cheers,

S

Agree with Lee S, Mike (Skipton01) recommended Mintex and fitted them for me, and they are spot on (as was Mike's work). The brakes are quiet (no squeaks!), progressive and more powerful than the worn out discs I had. Very reasonable price aswell. They had been fitted for 9 months now and are highly recommended. A no brainer really, I think the brake box (pads and discs) is about £60, which is a bargain for the quality and performance.

Cheers,

David

I posted on this just the other day as well - people say that the rear drums do so little that the OE shoes are perfectly adequate.

As to fronts - as mentioned above there is a deal on Fleabay for Mintex discs (and pads) for silly money which looks like a very cost-effective way to replace. However, I'm considering getting uprated Ferodo DS pads as I'd like more bite and stopping power, but I'm not in the market for a full brake upgrade at the moment (ie. bigger discs and calipers).

Brake fluid - you should definitely change fluid every two years anyway. OE Dot4 is fine, but if you want a bit of extra protection against fade (with all those roundabouts!), you can get a "high performance" Dot 5.1 fluid off the shelf (note NOT Dot 5.0, that's something else entirely) from most places like Halfords.

As the only UK owner to have done a big brake upgrade (I think), I can thoroughly recommend it - the stopping power is phenomenal now.

However, Mintex kits are a good upgrade and will help to maximise the stopping power from the stock sized parts. Please watch out though for Ebay sellers that sell Mintex pads and discs - usually, the pads are Mintex, but the discs are no-name cheap things. What you need to see is either Mintex brake box or Mintex discs and Mintex pads.

Be careful and if it looks too cheap, it probably is.

Cheers,

Mike

cheap mintex deal.

Just ordered front and rear mintex kit for my FSI.
YES car parts in leeds (they are on ebay, but I phoned them direct!) have done all four discs and 8 pads (all mintex) for £109 all in!

Will fit them and bleed brakes over next few days.

Is there a guide on here somewhere? link?

[fesses up to being lazy]

Back