Brake squeaking

sojah

A2OC Donor
Does anyone know how to cure squeaky front brakes, this is really doing my head in. It isn't the rears as i have pulled up the hand brake slightly whilst driving and the sound is still there, so it is definiatley isn't the rears.
Its a squeak, squeaking sound like one of the disks are warped!

Is there anyway of curing this as they are only ten months old and i got these Mintex brake and pads because the last ones were worn and squeaking also. They were genuine parts that i put on there also, and there is plenty of life left in the pads. :confused:

incidentally, I started hearing my brake squeak about 2 weeks ago and they too are mintex disc and pads of about 1yr old! I've determined the noise doesn't come from the rear either, definitely the front. I've had two sets of OE disc/pads before and they never made any noise. I've not gotten round to inspecting the disc yet.

It's possible glazing of the pad surface. A few heavy braking sessions (on a clear road and when safe to do so) will help knock this glazed surface off the pads and stop the squeaks.

Cheers,

Mike

I too have mintex pads and discs, coming up to one year old and they have just started squealing like mad every time i brake, blummin london bus syndrome.

I have given mine some serious brake sesh and just squeals all the more :S

John

My fronts are squealing at the moment too - Ferodo DS pads. I need to give them some serious stick and hopefully that'll clear it out...

Do you think some sort of white spirits or something of that kind is possible to clean any dirt from off the the disks themselves, because i have tried the hard braking under safe conditions and still nothing. :confused:

Do you think some sort of white spirits or something of that kind is possible to clean any dirt from off the the disks themselves, because i have tried the hard braking under safe conditions and still nothing. :confused:

I think a strip and clean is the best bet, if you can be bothered for the sake of a squeak. If braking performance is unaffected, I'd leave it a while.

Cheers,

Mike

Looks like its cleared up for now, and the rears ar almost wore so Mike i think that a strip down and clean will soon be on the list of things to do.
Thank again guys. :cool:

Only clean discs with methylated spirit. Pads (apart from braking surface) can be lightly cleaned with copper wire brush to remove brake dust. Been here many times before. Brembo/Zimmerman and Bosch pads are a great combination - next time you're renewing. Alternatively strip the brakes down, clean everything, clean slider pins and lubricate with Lockheed red grease (under piston dust sleeve too) and apply copperslip, etc.;)

Back