Brake warning + ABS light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjp33

Had this come on yesterday, only to go back home (30 secs down the road), restart, and have it disappear again.

Will be going to the garage for a checkover obviously, just seeing if anyone else has had a similar issue at all ?

Yep, I had that, exactly the same but was preceded by all brakes coming on for about 2 milliseconds. I took it to Mr Audi who said "don't worry about it". I asked them to interrogate the fault log, they said there would be nothing on it so it wasnt worth doing.
Some months later I took the car to be serviced at a VW main agent (see previous posts), they serviced the car and removed 2 "transient faults" from the fault log. Was this the strange brake application?
I have not had the problem re-occur.
Was Mr Audi right to ignore it?

that's strikes a chord.. I phoned Audi this morning, and left a message regarding the fault - as I was as work I said ring back at home (my wife was in)

Get home for lunch.. yes - Audi phoned.

the essence of it:

"don't worry about it, happens quite often"

and they fobbed her off with some rather patronising analogy about someone catching a cold, then getting over it.

I was quite incredulous at this, so drove in personally this afternoon, and talked to the service manager - insisted that they check it.

turns out there is nothing wrong with the brakes - but the fault log showed some strange chain of events which apparently originated in the climate control panel. Log was cleared, and they took the car down the road and back, and checked it again - no faults.

So I'm happy with the end result - but very disappointed at their initial attitude, considering this is the brakes we're talking about - not something to be ignored, no matter how brief the apparent fault.

Will carry on driving the car as usual and see what happens.

--

imo - the correct response would've been - Provided it's safe to drive (no warning light), please bring the car in ASAP, so we can check it over. If the warning stays on, don't drive it and we'll have it collected.

The same happened to me a few weeks ago, as well as the airbag warning lamp.
Basically, the Audi chaps said there was nothing to worry about and having my own VAG-COM, I have to agree with them, because there was only a transient fault logged.

It could be just an electrical glitch and as the ECU errs on the side of caution, it has said "hang on, something could be amiss here".

If it happens again, then get back to them asap to see if they can diagnose anything.

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, all-round fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp), all round tinting and retro-fitted cruise control.(The NEW Tank). Black headlining and retro-fit Bose coming soon!!!

problem with that is that soon translates into a state of not trusting anything the ECU reports.

anything else, and I'd be prepared to proceed with that outlook, but not brakes.

the manuals make no bones about this - it quite clearly states in no uncertain terms never to ignore any brake warnings, even if they go away again - on this fact alone Audi themselves should uphold the same principle - if for no other reason than to reassure their customers.

--

I know how these things are - I've tinkered with engines and ECUs and pretty much everything in between for over 15 years - and being an electronics engineer, know the ins and outs of sensors etc. I've programmed ECUs and mapped engines - so I'm pretty well placed to understand stuff like this from all angles.

Confidence in your cars brakes though, especially when it's you and yours who drive it, is more important.

One wonders what the response would've been had I asked them to put in writing their initial advice ?

Couldn't agree more with you. Thing is, the warning lights are effectively 'latching' switches - any fault, no matter how transitory in nature and on they go and on they stay.

If the car is scanned for DTC's and none are found, then after a reset if it happens again you've got a problem and then things need to be phyically checked.

I was in this situation with the oil warning lamp on my last A2 - in the end, they replaced the oil sensor switch, the section of loom between it and the dash, and the dash itself - just to make sure!

It did cure the problem however, but with brakes, it is firstly a more involved process of checking and replacing and secondly infinitely more important in safety terms.

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, all-round fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp), all round tinting and retro-fitted cruise control.(The NEW Tank). Black headlining and retro-fit Bose coming soon!!!

I was amazed at Mr Audi's indifference to an apparent brake problem, it seems I'm not alone. I wonder if Mr corporate Audi will take this on board. They do look at this forum, they just don't admit it.
In their position , I would INSTRUCT dealers to check the car and re-assure the driver, then to report to Mr Big Audi what they found. OK glitches, fail safe etc. etc. I understand, but 'er indoors doesn't and she witnessed it and Audi's indifference, so it's "shall we use the Volvo today as it's a long trip?" She is a bit happier now the VW dealer has checked it out, but why the VW dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back