brakes and oil warning lights

cg808

Unplanned I had to drive my 2003 1.4 petrol a2 with 140k km to wroclaw from Frankfurt. This is about 1500km round trip. On the journey to wroclaw, after about 300km the big red brake system warning light in combination with the small Orange abs, epc and (i think) asr lights came on. I pulled over, switched off and upon restarting the lights disappeared. I checked the brake fluid level and it was ok.

In addition to this, the oil warning light came on 3 times during the journey to wroclaw. Again upon switching off and restarting it cleared.

Obviously I was on a long journey and the car was hot, but should I be worried about this?

Interested to see what warning lights I get on the way back to Frankfurt...

could it all be over?

so on the return journey, the drama reached its climax.

The oil pressure warning light came on followed shortly by a sudden increasingly loud clattering from the engine. I pulled over immediately and switched off.
I checked the oil level using the dipstick and everything was fine. But clearly much more catastrophic had just happened.

I had the car transported to a nearby garage (albeit still 400km from my home) and there it will stay until I get a diagnosis from the garage on Wednesday.

I don't know exactly what's wrong and I'm a little bit confused to be able to straight right now. New engine? Scrap it? Who knows....this could be the end

Back