Brakes Upgrade

sojah

A2OC Donor
Hi Guy's, does anyone know what sort of brakes and disk upgrade i could go for as i have just got a remap done by Sealth Racing and since saturday i'v been trying my best to not let my lead foot get the better of me. :D Would you recommend a solid disk or something that is grooved, i do know that vented disks are not as strong as solid one's. Any thought's?

All A2 front discs are vented, in that they are made up of 2 discs held together by a lattice, which allows heat to vent from the middle of the 'sandwich'.

If you want the ultimate, you can do what I did and fit 312mm TT front brakes, but this requires new hubs/bearings and calipers.

Dimpled discs and matching Greenstuff pads from EBS will be about as good as you'll get, or try Ferodo DS2500 pads with a good disc, such as a Brembo (not the Max though, which despite the name, are still the entry level disc).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, is it ok to just change the fronts and leave the rear disc's as they are? As someone on the forum was saying that the rear's don't do much and they usually last for quite a while.

Hi Sojah,

Phil is right - the rears on Tank are standard little things - all they really do is act as the handbrake, or a little bit when the electronic nanny decides I'm losing it andshe decides to brake the rear for me.

Absolutely no need for bigger rears (yes, I know I said this of the fronts too many moons ago!!), but this time, I'm adamant. The only possible upgrade is to stick what was on the front on the back, but this really would be overkill.

Cheers,

Mike

Ebay are doing mintex front's for £65 with disk's, does that sound ok, as Lee s did recommend them and they seem quite good value for the money!

Yes, I use Mintex, but be careful that both the pads AND the discs are Mintex - there's a few sellers out there who sell Mintex pads but no-name discs (which seem to be made of cheese!).

The Mintex stuff is as good as the Audi original stuff, but not a massive improvement.

Cheers,

Mike

yeah, the £65 set sounds right. Some are cheaper but watch out they are Mintex pads plus disc and the discs aren't matching Mintex ones.

I've only just installed them a few months ago. The Mintex are not bad, but not significantly better than OE if I'm perfectly honest. Compared to OE, the Mintex seems to give slightly better bite when cold. EBC greenstuff is fine for road use, just be careful for sports/track use. I've not personally used them, but EBC doesn't get much praise amongst my colleagues who track often with Elises and 911s, while Pagid and Ferodo are universally praised.

This is the parts number for the kit that i would like to get as stated by LeeS. Does this seem like the genuine parts to you?

MINTEX FRONT KIT PART NUMBER :- MDK0152

MINTEX BRAKE DISC PART NUMBER :- MDC1019

BRAKE DISC TYPE VENTED

BRAKE DISC DIAMETER 256mm X 22mm

MINTEX BRAKE PAD PART NUMBER :- MDB2040

I got my mintex stuff (front and rear) from an Ebay seller based in Leeds.
Called YES carparts.
I ended up phoning up and asking for a non-Ebay price and got the four discs and 8 pads for just over £100 pounds.
I collected them. They are genuine sealed mintex stuff. Note that the front pads have different springs on the piston side and caliper side (cost me lots of headache and forum head scratching that one!

See here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-8Z-1-...s_SM?hash=item2ea3919e99&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I got my mintex stuff (front and rear) from an Ebay seller based in Leeds.
Called YES carparts.
I ended up phoning up and asking for a non-Ebay price and got the four discs and 8 pads for just over £100 pounds.
I collected them. They are genuine sealed mintex stuff. Note that the front pads have different springs on the piston side and caliper side (cost me lots of headache and forum head scratching that one!

See here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-8Z-1-...s_SM?hash=item2ea3919e99&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Why!!! Can yo please explain? I thought they are the right fitment?

I had machined discs fitted by Stealth along with uprated pads, the combination is more resistant to brake fade and is a noticable improvement when braking from high speed. When cold they do like a bit of bite compared with the OE set up. Compared with my partners Aclass the braking is far better which is sometimes worrying when swapping from car to car....:eek: altho' compared with my 944T with Brembo's etc they do lack something....

Nice one guy's, i think i will go with the mintex fronts and pads as suggested by LeeS. They look like they could do the job and they are quite good value for money. :cool:

Back