Brakes

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Anyone done any front brake upgrades - any easy swaps from discs and calipers from other VAG cars?
Also, anyone do braided hose kits for the A2?
Finally, what non-stock pads fit the A2? I've always sworn by the Ferodo DS2500, but seriously doubt they make it for the A2?!

I have Ferodo and Brembo grooved on the front. but haven't gone as far as the Vag car swap yet.

braided hoses can be made for £12.50 a line from BF Goodridge. Or try Stealth

It's not an easy swap I'm afraid as the carriers for the calipers are built into the hub, making swaps impossible, without a lot of metalworking and adaptation.

Go for decent discs and pads (Brembo, EBC) and you'll be overbraked anyway!

Cheers,

Mike

Aah, that's unusual then - learning lots of things about this A2 that are unique engineering-wise compared to the rest of the VAG range!

I had a horrible previous experience with EBC pads - albeit on a different car (heavily modded Audi S2 coupe, the pad material fractured clean off the backing plate) - would be reluctant to go back to their products, who else does good aftermarket pads with a higher friction and temperature potential?

Of course installing wider, and stickier tyres increases braking performance too!

re. 'the pad material fractured clean off the backing plate'

Don't know if it's coincidence but I had exactly the same happen with EBC black pads when I fitted them to my Smart. Pads were about 70% worn when it happened.

Those were EBC Reds. I also had some odd behavior from EBC Greens, which left spots of pad material glued to the discs, which then caused vibrations and noise. In both cases I got full refunds on the pads, but I'd certainly be reluctant to return to their products.

dan, this is very consistent to what I've been hearing, although most of them are performance cars, Exige, 996, 350z ...etc. They have either experienced or saw EBC green or red pads disintegrated on the track. Not that I think the A2 will have the performance to cause such damage, but I've been repeatedly told off using EBC stuff.

Back