Broken Control Arm!

allypug

A2OC Donor
So, waiting for recovery on the M45 after the steering suddenly went a tad dangerous!
Had a look and one control arm has rusted through!!! Not uncommon I know, are the cast ones a straight swap? Or do they take different sized bushings etc?

Glad you're safely on the hard shoulder, it could have been a lot worse :eek:

Yes, cast arms are a straight swap. Although the bushes are the same size, the ones for a diesel are of a more robust construction, to deal with the greater engine weight. Depending on your annual mileage, you may get away with arms recovered from an end-of-life petrol car if the balljoints are good. New cast arms aren't as widely available as they used to be. Meyle are now the brand that WOM uses. Maybe talk to them about the correct part number for the bush?

Are you wanting to replace a cast arm for an existing pressed arm? If so you will have to have both sides the same i.e. both cast or both pressed.

Glad you're safely on the hard shoulder, it could have been a lot worse :eek:

Yes, cast arms are a straight swap. Although the bushes are the same size, the ones for a diesel are of a more robust construction, to deal with the greater engine weight. Depending on your annual mileage, you may get away with arms recovered from an end-of-life petrol car if the balljoints are good. New cast arms aren't as widely available as they used to be. Meyle are now the brand that WOM uses. Maybe talk to them about the correct part number for the bush?
Luckily I decided not to 'nurse' it home 60 miles when I spotted one wheel was further back than the other. Thanks for the info.. will check out bushes needed for my tdi

Back