Broken key. Where do you get a new blade cut?

mrbroons

Houston I have a problem!

My blade has fallen off and I need to get it replaced. The fob is fine and coded no problem but I need a new blade. I've just called Timpson and they have said, sorry we only do full keys and the full programming and even if you have a blade even a dealer one then we need to supply our own.

Anyone got any *good* experiences with companies, ideally in central Scotland. Bit of a bind as it's the only key I have!

Cheers.
MrB

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 321
Just a quick update. Got the key cut at the place above. Done in about 5 mins.

Now onto the blade replacement. I had a full new key housing that I had purchased so got the new blade cut from that. So now I have a new key and a broken old one.

So........

Changed everything over, took off the top part and put the new blade onto the bottom of the old key (I'm guessing some of you can guess what happened next!)

Went out to start the car and PING PING PING PING PING (the alarm goes into overdrive!)

After some frantic googling (the car is wailing in the background much to my neighbours annoyance!) I managed to find the issue. The top part of the key (next to the blade) contains the transponder (I thought this would be part of the electronics in the key but it is not). When you take the little Audi badge off the key and reveal the screw underneath you can take the top cover apart (which allows changing of the blade too). On the button side of the top part (the side of it that the buttons are also on) there is a small groove and within there is a glass transponder

See photo 5/6 on @Sarge 's second set of photos here, it is the little transparent worm like thing in the bottom section of the fob: https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...mmobiliser-part-a2-standard-issue-type.18954/

So I went out with this new part and managed to silence the car by holding it close enough to the ignition barrel whilst turning the key.

I have now stripped the key back and swapped over this section of the plastic key and all is well. The car starts, the immobiliser (doesn't ) and the remote locking works as-well.

Bit of a journey, hopefully others can avoid the same fate. I may do a wee video on this process but for now I'm just glad it is working again.

PS there is a small pin that holds the blade onto the key and this can be poked out to release the blade and save any of the above hassle, in my case this was locked in place and not removable but on the new key it came out quite easily.

Best.

MrB

The little pin that comes out easily on the new key, can do just that and you can drop the blade. Not what you want. Using a cocktail stick superglue ONLY the pin into the key to prevent it falling out accidentally. Glad all working for you now.

Back