buckling audi 17 alloys

Colin

A2OC Donor
I have read a lot about the known problem with 17 inch alloys buckling with low profile tryes fitted, but has anyone succesfully complained about this situation to Audi under the terms of the warranty and got Audi to replace them????

Good point Colin, I have one front nearside that is buckled, when new tyres were fitted they showed me on the balancing:eek:

I have not complained but like you interested to hear of anyone that has successfully claimed.

I guess the alternative to Audi is to seek a claim to the highways or local authority if you know where the damage had taken place.

doc

I was thinking that these alloys could possibly be described as not fit for purpose or were not developed to work in conjunction witha low profile tyres, if they were then why are so many owners had simular problems which you dont get with non low profiles, in which case what is audi going to do or has done for some of us.

When i had my TT with the 18"rs4 wheels which are the same design as the A2 17" sport wheels, i was told that if you have owned the car from new or the car is under warranty they would replace the wheels FOC due to the known buckling fault with these wheels.

Colin said:
I was thinking that these alloys could possibly be described as not fit for purpose or were not developed to work in conjunction witha low profile tyres, if they were then why are so many owners had simular problems which you dont get with non low profiles, in which case what is audi going to do or has done for some of us.
I had the same situation with my original 17" sport wheels.

Eventually resolved by Audi UK after a lot (and I mean a lot) of discussion.

Here's a clue for you: the wheels are actually A3 parts, look at the part numbers. The only time they were fitted to A3s, they had 225/45 R 17 tyres, which equates to having about an inch more rubber to cushion between the rim and the road.

Not a suitable wheel/tyre combo, or not fit for purpose - you decide!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the info and based on your replies I shall be having a discussion with my local Audi dealer next week, I will keep you updated on progress.

Likewise Colin, I have just sent an email into my service manager, will let you know of response.

doc

I had one buckled wheel on mine, front o/s. As I bought second hand (OK it was 11 month old and run by Audi management first) I got a new wheel but had to make a contribution of circa £60.

The original RS4 had this issue (obviously same style wheel) and I understand that was a deliberate design from Audi.

Expensive Alu suspension components vs comparatively cheap wheels - Audi decided wheel should give first. loads of the guys on rs246 have had multiple replacements.

shao_khan said:
The original RS4 had this issue (obviously same style wheel) and I understand that was a deliberate design from Audi.

Expensive Alu suspension components vs comparatively cheap wheels - Audi decided wheel should give first. loads of the guys on rs246 have had multiple replacements.
Don't confuse the RS4 wheel with that supplied with A2 Sport models - the RS4 is an 18" wheel, unlike the 17" fitted to A2s - they are in no way related.

Audi would have RS4 owners believe that the wheel buckling was/is a design feature that protects the suspension components from damage, but it was never announced as such until after many owners complained about the 'problem'.

Ultimately, Audis solution of supplying free exchange wheels to the original owners could be seen as extremely generous or an attempt to mask their design gaff and keep people sweet.

Either way, don't expect anything similar for us A2 Sport owners!!

Cheers,

Mike

Latest update from this mornings discussion with Northfield Audi at Tetbury was that buckling of the alloys is outside the warranty as external forces such as road humps may have been the contributory factor. ( Cynical comments on a post card please, to Audi UK).
This was a Audi Uk policy statement and not what I felt Northfield were stating. Anyway they are going to check the wheels and let me know their view on the extent of the buckling, against what spec I do not know
I guess my next step will be Trading Standards to understand their view, and my rights, followed by a letter to Mr Audi at their HQ asking for his comments on why a wheel persumably fit for purpose on UK roads does not seems to last the course well at least the warranty period.

I will keep you all posted

Just had my response Colin, pretty similar, they are offering to check them out.

"we have no knowledge of any design weaknesses with any A2 wheels. This unfortunately means that, barring any obvious defects, we have to take the view that any buckling is due to the application of external forces above the design strength of the wheel. This type of damage would not claimable under the Manufacturer’s warranty."

Doc.

doctor said:
Just had my response Colin, pretty similar, they are offering to check them out.

"we have no knowledge of any design weaknesses with any A2 wheels. This unfortunately means that, barring any obvious defects, we have to take the view that any buckling is due to the application of external forces above the design strength of the wheel. This type of damage would not claimable under the Manufacturer’s warranty."

Doc.
You need to point out to them that the wheels are actually A3 parts and that the design tolerance of the A3 application called for 225/45 tyres, which will obviously cushion the rim far more than the 205/40 tyre as used on the A2 Sport.

Cheers,

Mike

Interesting discussion with Trading Standards, It would appear that I have no re dress under the warranty as Audi state that tyres and wheels are not covered, but TS did say that the they believe I have a good case under the Sales of Goods act which appears to state that a product should have a reasonable life expectancy and not fail under normal conditions. so thats the good news, the downer is that but I have to take this up with the stealer, in my case thats Stanstead Audi, so I shall be contacting them officially this week and see what they have to say.

Just a tip Colin, be sure to use email as communication;) better than a quote over the phone:rolleyes:

I shall enter Mikes point into the discussion this week and see what comes back.

Doc

doctor said:
Just a tip Colin, be sure to use email as communication;) better than a quote over the phone:rolleyes:

I shall enter Mikes point into the discussion this week and see what comes back.

Doc
Don't forget to get Audi UK involved too - not a lot happened in my case until they intervened - in actual fact, they sent a team to my dealer to have a resolution meeting with them!

Cheers,

Mike

When i bought my A2 from a dealer, they fitted two brand new sport wheels as the originals were buckled.

Apart from that good deed, Please avoid using Reading Audi except as a public convenience! :D

OK my email with Mikes reply went in later today so we shall await response.

Mike, have you a name and email address for audi uk, I looked on the audi site and its about as useful as the BT site for contacts:rolleyes:

Thks

Doctor

doctor said:
OK my email with Mikes reply went in later today so we shall await response.

Mike, have you a name and email address for audi uk, I looked on the audi site and its about as useful as the BT site for contacts:rolleyes:

Thks

Doctor
Hi Doctor,

They are a notoriously shy bunch at Audi UK and the chap that dealt with my case has now left the company!

To copy them in to the issue, go to www.audi.co.uk and then click on 'Customer Service' on the right hand side.

On the next page, under related links, click it again, this opens up a form which you should fill in and then copy/paste your concerns and issues into the box there.

Once you get a reply, which they are very good at to be fair, then get their name and number and then keep on at them.

Cheers,

Mike

Back