Buy a high mileage TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

westy

I am looking at a just over two year old A2 1.4TDI SE with 59,000 miles on. Silver (what else.....!)
Its at a main dealer, with FSH, no knocks or scratches.
It still has one year warranty and will come serviced, taxed and any other faults fixed (Didn't spot any).
I had a quick look round but was pushed for time so didn't test drive.
The screen price was 9995GBP but was immediately told to ignore that by the salesman and 8600GBP was bandied about.
Its got the SE alloys and climate but no CD.
Is this OK? What should I look for / listen for at that kind of mileage?
Does the cambelt need changing soon?
There was only one remote keyfob, very worn. What's my chance of getting them chuck a new one in? (ie are they v. expensive?)
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any replies.[8D]

What is the cars history i.e. why high mileage-all motorway or town?

I would expect/demand another key fob-where is the missing one-that may worry me slightly.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Sounds exactly like mine, bar mine is Crystal Blue... BUT just remember the warranty runs out at 60000 miles FULL STOP... so you will be buying a car with only 1000miles worth of warranty... definately get an extended warranty thrown into for that price... and I think it is asking too much really... Just go to Audi's own second hand area and you'll find 1 year old ones for just over £10500...

and key fobs are about £150 I think - if a friend's Ford Focus is anything to go by...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

i bought a 1.4(basic spec) a2 this last christmas. it had 31k miles one pre-registered and one owner. body was in a mint condition. with 2 years warrantee left. it was on a 52 plate with 4 months rent (TAX) and i only paid 7200. and that was private. what a steal. (well below salvage price.)
WORD OF ADVISE.----- Dont worship dealers. buy private and invest some time and your efforts will be rewarded.

I have just had mine serviced at 59,500 miles.
Yes your cam belt will need to be replaced.
Sit down for this !!! £350 at an Audi dealership.
The A/con fan and top suspension mounts are being replaced under warranty.
Just something to think about in your haggling.
All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back