Buying 2nd hand A2 ?

I'm new to this forum (hello everybody!) so my apologies if this is an often asked question :)

Within the next two months I'm going to buy my first own car -- always took a bike to work sofar.....and although I'm not that old, the milage on my legs is getting quite high ;)

My question to you, A2 owners, is basically two fold:
- Is the A2 a safe car to buy 2nd hand or should I just look at the ones at the local audi dealer or any other respectable garage ? Does it have specific problems in anyway that one should be aware of when buying an A2 ?
Or is it a fairly trouble free car, compared to the average 2nd hand.

- Are there any specific options that I should look for ? I really love the sun roof in my parents car, so I imagine a panorama/glass roof would be awesome. But what else is worth looking for in a 2nd hand A2 ?

Looking forward to your replies -- many thanks in advance :)

Bart
The Netherlands

Excellent little car & has no more problems than many other makes.
I have a 1.4tdi & my wife has a 1.4 petrol with opensky roof.
Personally I prefer the diesel & it does seem to have fewer electrical problems than the petrol & has better fuel economy.
I would avoid the opensky roof,it has caused many people problems & is expensive to repair.
It is also very,very noisy when travelling with it open & in my opinion that makes it fairly pointless.
It does allow a little more light into the car,beneficial if you have dark upholstery but other than that it just adds weight to car designed with weight saving in mind.
Good luck with your search.

I'm new to this forum (hello everybody!) so my apologies if this is an often asked question :)

Within the next two months I'm going to buy my first own car -- always took a bike to work sofar.....and although I'm not that old, the milage on my legs is getting quite high ;)

My question to you, A2 owners, is basically two fold:
- Is the A2 a safe car to buy 2nd hand or should I just look at the ones at the local audi dealer or any other respectable garage ? Does it have specific problems in anyway that one should be aware of when buying an A2 ?
Or is it a fairly trouble free car, compared to the average 2nd hand.

- Are there any specific options that I should look for ? I really love the sun roof in my parents car, so I imagine a panorama/glass roof would be awesome. But what else is worth looking for in a 2nd hand A2 ?

Looking forward to your replies -- many thanks in advance :)

Bart
The Netherlands

Have in mind that during A2 production there were few modifications introduced, which eliminates some problems. From this perspective 2003 model year (production from 08. 2002) is a good choice, best is 2004 (from 08.2003) and 2005 model - last in production.

Make sure it has climate! Otherwise difficult to sell on and damned hot isnide in summer. Mine has the opensky roof which is a nice feature but will agree at speed it is very noisy when open. I much prefer diesel to petrol however if ypour annual mileage will be low then a petrol would be a good buy, just don't expect much 'performance' from a 1.4 petrol... Good luck with your hunt to buy an a2!

If mileage of any A2 you are interested in is 50 to 60,000 miles check whether the cambelt and water pump have been changed. If they haven't then either require them to be done within the agreed deal or get a price reduction of, say £450, to cover this essential item.

Have in mind that during A2 production there were few modifications introduced, which eliminates some problems. From this perspective 2003 model year (production from 08. 2002) is a good choice, best is 2004 (from 08.2003) and 2005 model - last in production.

What are these mods and problems?

New A2

Mine has just been written off (The wife hit oil on a bend and with the help of a well placed fence strainer she rolled it, ).It was a 51 tdi with 191,000 on the clock.Never needed any oil between services (10,000)I am so impressed with the lack of structural damage that I am on the market for my 2nd A2.The only damage was a kinked roof and scuff marks on the doors.Family battered and bruised but otherwise ok.:(Well impressed as were the guys at work who had difficulty in believing it had been rolled.I stored it in the works car park until it was carted off to the great scrappy in the sky:(

What are these mods and problems?

Hi hattiwatti, welcome to the A2oc
The only upgrades I can think of are the anti-roll bar, misting headlamps, egr valve mounting (on tdi's only) ignition coil packs (petrol only) floppy windscreen wiper and different washer jets.
There have been many other product improvements? over the years but nothing of significance which would put me off buying an older car. In fact some think the build quality was better on older models.
Some of the things which affect all model years are broken front springs, rattling drop links, faulty temp sensors, dual mass flywheels (90 tdi only) and sticking open sky sunroofs.
Petrol engined cars can have irritating faults with the emissions system which seem difficult to fix if you'r unlucky.
I'm sure other club members will add to the list
Hope I have not put you off buying an A2

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hope I have not put you off buying an A2

Spike is quite right, (and he would know being our mechanical guru!) there's nothing significant or major to worry about with the A2. Its a solid all rounder, the best advice is to do your homework ( as you clearly are :)) The next step is taking your time and selecting the right car for you based on your wants and must haves. Easier said than done - but worth it! The A2 is a cracking wee car, and in comparison to other superminis, the A2 is a sensible all rounder.
You will get a newer car for your money, but its highly doubtful you will find one as distinctive, well built or more reliable. Good luck :D

Last edited:
Back