Buying a Tdi. What to look for ?

Tomsk

All,
Looking at buying a Tdi. But never having one what do I need to look for so I don’t buy a lemon.

Gearbox selector problem 2nd to 3rd crunch. Leaking egr valve(oil leak) apparently an mot fail now. On test drive make sure u have good power delivery and no excessive black smoke from exhaust. Same applies on engine start up. A top tip i always abide by. Before u start car make sure engine is cold, open/remove bonnet and put hand ontop or side of engine. And good service history.
If its the 90 ur after then dmf rattle as well

Gearbox selector problem 2nd to 3rd crunch. Leaking egr valve(oil leak) apparently an mot fail now. On test drive make sure u have good power delivery and no excessive black smoke from exhaust. Same applies on engine start up. A top tip i always abide by. Before u start car make sure engine is cold, open/remove bonnet and put hand ontop or side of engine. And good service history.
If its the 90 ur after then dmf rattle as well

I may be missing something but how does the EGR leak oil ?

I've had a turbo gasket replaced recently that was leaking oil. Apparently it's a common fault on the tdi 75 but you can only see it from underneath the car with the undertray removed.

My EGR leaked oil from the anti shudder spindle. I replaced it with a used valve that leaked initially from the diaphragm vent hole.
I’m no expert but I assumed the oil was from the turbo bearings and Is carried to the EGR by the air flow. A worn valve then allows air and oil to leak.

Back