Buying an Audi A2 - need help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zedstar

Hi guys, i love this site its full of information and tips on this wonderful car we all like and admire! Top work everyone.

Now I have some queries on buying one of these cars, please if you could assist with my questions. The car I am after is a 1.4 TDI SE.

Questions:-

1) I`m quite tall (6`3"), does this affect the driving of the car with regards to visibility/comfort?

2) is there really a big difference between the SE and the Sport model that someone would notice a difference in driving experience?
would you recommend the cost of a sport over an SE?

3) how can one tell or ask or spot a 75bhp model from a 90 and is there an easy way to go from a 75 to a 90 power output (barring chipping)?

4) with the standard cars do you also have a spare tire?

5) some people say that the pillars get in the way as they are quite thick and obscure vision. Do you guys notice this?

6) where on earth can i get a 2nd hand model of the TDI 1.4 with opensky for sub 10k :)

7) is there anyway to upgrade the upholstory with a 2nd hand car to have full leather or would this be too costly a process?

8) with the diesel model is there a noticeable sound of the engine similar to that of a taxi on idle? whats it like when zooming around at towns in the 10-20mph region?

9) I have my own car stereo which i would like to use, is it a simple method to remove the existing radio or do i need to call the experts?

again thanks for your patience and i hope you can help with my many probably tedious questions but i just need to cover some pitholes in my mind.

thanks

Zedstar

Hello zedstar, and welcome to the forum!

I'll try and answer your questions in the order you asked them, although others will probably be able to give more in-depth responses...

1) I can't say for sure what difference 3" makes as I am a mere 6 foot...but I certainly have no issue with comfort. The front seats are fully adjustable for height and track, so you should have no problem finding the right position. The steering wheel is of course also adjustable.

2) I'll let someone else answer that one as I'm not up to speed on the spec of the sport model.

3) I believe that one way to spot the a 90bhp TDi model is the fact that the 'I' in the model lettering on the back of the car will be red as opposed to silver! I'm sure there are other ways though!

4) You have the option of a space saver spare or a can of puncture fluid to get you to the nearest service station. Personally, I went for the space saver as an additional option so it uses up the space beneath the false boot floor but it is well worth it as when I had a puncture a few months ago I wasn't able to get it fixed for 24 hours but was still able to use the car - albeit below 50mph only (which was a bit of a nuisance!).

5) Can't speak for all, but I do notice it. But as with everything you adapt and look around the pillars a lot more than you would usually. It's not an enormous problem, but initially you will be more aware of them.

6) There are tons of sub £10k A2s on Auto Trader (http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/advance.html), I'm sure if you look hard, you'll find one with open-sky (it's well worth it!).

7) Yes, there are companies that will do this. Check out http://www.car-interior.co.uk - they even have the A2 on their site!

8) My A2 was my first diesel and so I was dubious about the noise and the taxi thought popped into my head as well, but it really isn't that bad. It's also a smaller engine than the taxi plus it's only 3 cylinders and so I think it produces an inoffensive and slightly 'cute' note. Yes there is some initial clatter on start-up and a small amount of extra noise at idle, but once fully warmed up it's not noticeable much at speed. To be honest though, the torque is well worth any extra noise. I live in a suburb of London and frequently take it into town - this is where it really comes into its own due it's size and engine.

9) A local dealer will be able to release the existing standard stereo for you so that it is just poking out of the slot, but once that is done, it is a very simple procedure to put a non standard stereo in (see http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm). You'll need to purchase some spacers though as the Audi stereos are wider than the standard ones and also possibly a harness adapter kit so that it can be easily wired to the Audi loom. These items are all available from many sources (such as http://www.incardiscount.co.uk)- check out the Audio section of this forum.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | 2004 A2OC Competitions

Welcome.

1, The front seats are height adjustable and the steering wheel adjusts for rake and reach so shouldn't be a problem.
2, I think the SE is a better spec than the SPORT so it depends on what you want, toys or sport suspension.
3, At a glance and its a TDI, Rear disc brakes and a RED I in TDI.
4, Think its standard ???
5, I don't but other who have driven ours do, so depends on the individual.
6, Pass
7, Pass
8, I like the sound the of the 3 cylinder diesel - and its my first diesel.
9, You will need the extraction keys for the Audi unit and a new back plate but Iam sure someone else has changed theirs.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

Hello,
A few answers to some of your questions.

1) I'm 6'2" and have test driven an 1.4 TDi (90PS) Sport. I found the sport seats very comfortable, the lumbar adjustment especially useful. So you may want to try one of these as-well as an SE spec. Otherwise the seat and steering wheel adjustments were fine for giving me a comfortable driving position. You'll also like the tall roof giving you plenty of air around you.

2) In my opinion the SE is the better value of the two models. Also I think the 17” wheels are just too much for a car of it’s size giving a harsher than average ride. Save the money, or just spend the saved money on the SE spec with extra toys :)

3) The 90 is the one overtaking the 75 ;)

5) After 10 mins of driving I forgot the pillars were larger than normal, although it took me longer to get used to not seeing where the leading edge of the car is. In my test drive I didn't do much reversing but did feel it would take we a while longer to get used to the large rear pillars. But none of this put me off ordering an A2. :)

8) I've owned a few diesels before and would say that the 1.4 TDi (90PS) has a small amount of idle clatter when cold. Above 3000rpm it gives more of a rasping sound, near 4000rpm it can sound agricultural. It’s at its best between 2000-3500 where the torque is immense. Generally I’d say the 3 cylinder is not as smooth as a 4 cylinder, but the extra torque it provides is well worth it.

Will

Sport has better specs:
Trip computer,sport suspention,17 in alloys, superb sport seats,leather steering wheel to name few.
SE:
Hasn`t got any of the above but has illuminated vanity mirrors (so you can check your lipstick).

Its debateable whether the Sport has 'better' specs, it has different specs to the SE. BTW the SE does have a leather steering wheel.

oooh! thanks everyone for your comments, now i have to wait for the bank to clear my funds :)

wish me luck and i`ll post my pics soon!

Z

Hi Zedstar & welcome.

1) I'm sure you'll find no problem with visibility/comfort. As
mentioned above, the seats are fully adjustable including height
and the steering is adjustable for reach and rake.
2) As far as the driving experience is concerned, having owned an SE
and a Sport, I'd say the Sport has a much firmer ride than the
SE. It corners much flatter with little body roll. It depends on
what your driving style is and what your preference is. You really
need to test drive both back to back to appreciate the difference
for yourself. As to recommending the cost of the Sport over the
SE, I couldn't say, you pays your money.......
As for spec, lets just say they are different to cater for
different tastes. One point about the 17" wheels, they are a pain
to keep clean and damage free, but they do look great.
3) As stated above, the 90 has a red I in the model inscription on
the rear and rear disc brakes. It will also have the new style
grille/service flap.
4) Most have puncture sealant as the space saver spare is an option
albeit a no cost option.
5) You will have to get used to the front pillar on the driver side
especially at roundabouts. You'll soon get used to moving forward
and looking around the pillar.
6) I'm not sure whether you will find a decent TDI Sport for under
10k as it is still a relatively new model (only been out 2
years).
7) Any car upholstery trimmers can do this. You'd be looking at
approx £1,000 for a full re-trim.
8) Again, I'd recommend a test drive as everything is relative. I'm
sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
9) Pass.

Hope this helps

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Guys

found this through the audi web site dealership search:-

Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE with Opensky Sunroof finished in Dolphin Grey Metallic with black cloth interior. Specification includes anti-lock brakes, driver, passenger & side air bags, air conditioning & climate control, remote alarm system & engine immobiliser, 16" alloy wheels, remote central locking, concert single CD player, drivers information system (dis), electrically operated door mirrors, electric front & rear windows, front fog lamps, can holder in dashboard, illuminated vanity mirrors, first aid kit & warning triangle and rear spoiler. Esp, asr, ebd and EDL. Includes Audi manufactueres warranty and Audi roadside assistance until august 2005 or 60,000 miles.

Now i can probably stretch to 11k but they are asking for 12,295 on this with 26,600 miles and its 75bhp.

Also the dealer informs me that the TDI 90 only came out in the 2004 models?!?

what ya think?

Z

It has a few non standard extras (opensky roof, DIS, rear electric windows) hence the price. You can pick up a standard spec SE model with 3-5,000 miles for £13,000. TDi 90 was only released at the beginning of this year

The cheapest option would be to 'chip' the car.
Otherwise the cost to do a genuine conversion would be prohibitive I suspect.

The turbo is completely different on the TDi 90 - variable valve goemetry on the rotor or something like that.
You can quite easily chip the 75 up to the same power as the 90. Several people on here have done just that.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back