Caliper Carrier threads stripped

dickiebom

Whilst replacing my front pads on my 2000 1.4 Tdi I have managed strip the threads in the hub carrier that accepts the caliper mounting pins. I know school boy error. How can I fix this. Is it possible and safe to helicoil it. Whats the thread size? I have had a little measure and seems to be 9mm dia but pitch could be 1.5 or 1.25 can any body clarify this. If the hub carrier needs replacing do the carriers from fabia ibiza and other models fit. Thanks all

Unfortunately, I cannot receommend a Helicoil solution - it's just not safe enough for a critical fixing such as this!

The carrier (properly known as a bearing housing by Audi) is actually a 6Q Polo part, so you can replace it with a suitable VW broken part, if available.

However, chances are that most you come across will have knackered bearings and/or stripped threads, so a new part is the only answer. This also means replacing the hub/bearing assembly, as it is destroyed on removal, so swapping from one housing to the other is a non-starter.

Prices are not cheap either: around £115 for the housing and £90 for a hub/bearing, plus labour for pressing it in (a simple hydraulic press won;t do the job, as it puts too much pressure on the outer race).

I will have Tanks old units up for sale in the New Year, as I'm doing a big brake upgrade to 312mm, if you can wait that long, but apart from that, VAGParts!

Cheers,

Mike

Whilst replacing my front pads on my 2000 1.4 Tdi I have managed strip the threads in the hub carrier that accepts the caliper mounting pins. I know school boy error. How can I fix this. Is it possible and safe to helicoil it. Whats the thread size? I have had a little measure and seems to be 9mm dia but pitch could be 1.5 or 1.25 can any body clarify this. If the hub carrier needs replacing do the carriers from fabia ibiza and other models fit. Thanks all

Been there, done that - the first thread I've stripped in about 40 years. I looked at helecoil thread repairs but the M9x1.25 (from memory) kits were around £30. Set up for drilling and tapping to suit the insert would have to be perfect to ensure the mounting pin was square and parallel to the other one - not easy when there is no flat reference face on the hub carrier. The thing which really put me off attempting the repair was that it is not a 'blind' thread so there is nothing to stop the helicoil winding out when the mounting pin is screwed in.
Due to an imminent holiday I decided to fit a new hub carrier. My local audi dealer was happy to sell the bits but their workshop refused to fit the bearing - they would only do the complete job just in case poor workmanship caused an accident and they might be partly blamed.
Stafford Audi parts dept came to the rescue and supplied a built up housing and bearing assy mail order (they charged £30 to fit the bearing)

I have since acquired some spare bits so if your looking for used parts, let me know which side you require and I may be able to help

Cheers Spike

Many thanks to you both . It was the first thread I,ve stripped in about thirty years also. I suppose its like driving you and up getting complacent and then get bitten in the bum. Any way its the offside /drivers side non abs. Thanks again

Many thanks to you both . It was the first thread I,ve stripped in about thirty years also. I suppose its like driving you and up getting complacent and then get bitten in the bum. Any way its the offside /drivers side non abs. Thanks again

I may be able to help with a replacement drivers side bearing carrier. I'll confirm this in the next couple of days and take it from there if you'r interested

Cheers Spike

Hi Skipton1,

Just read your message above and am very interested in the faisability of upgrading the brake diameter. I still have from my previous A4 the brake clipers and supports. Do you think that upgrading my A2 90CV with those is feasable? Will you post a tutorial with pictures? Thanks, Didier

Hi Skipton1,

Just read your message above and am very interested in the faisability of upgrading the brake diameter. I still have from my previous A4 the brake clipers and supports. Do you think that upgrading my A2 90CV with those is feasable? Will you post a tutorial with pictures? Thanks, Didier

Unfortunately, I very much doubt it - the mounting holes of the carriers are a different spacing for the hubs that must be used with the A2 and they are certainly of a different thread size.

As far as I know, you must use Audi TT/VW Polo GTi calipers and carriers.

Cheers,

Mike

Back