Cambelt Change-A question

A2O2

Just visited my Audi Dealer for the usual parts associated with the timing belt. They were keen for me to change this part (Repair Kit £90.00) A038 198 119. They stated that this was necessary as part of the cam belt change for the age of the car. Does any one know if this is the case. Car is 1.4 TDI (114,000).

Thanks in advance

A202

What they've quoted you on is the new belt, tensioner roller, relay roller and sundries for an AMF engine. It is all necessary.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi A2O2
I used the same kit number for my 2001 TDi. It includes the belt, tensioner pulley and small idler roller and is several pounds cheaper than buying the bits separately. I would also recommend changing the water pump unless this has been done recently. See link for more info and DIY tips but beware the job is not for the feint hearted.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4538&highlight=cambelt

Cheers Spike

Mike
This is my complete shopping list from Audi
A038 198 119 (FC-2 REPAIR KIT)
A045 121 011 BX WATER PUMP
A045 903 137 D RIBBED V-BELT
A045 109 479 B EF-1 BELT TESIONING

Apologies, its the last item I am not sure I need!

Cheers

A2O2

Thanks Spike
Its the last ITEM in Red, that I am not sure about: A045 109 479 B (EF-1 BELT TESIONING). And yes I have also optied for the Water pump and a V-BELT. Thanks again.

A2O2

Yes, get everything. You can scrimp and save on the last item, as it needs replacing at every other belt change, but it's best to do it at the same time, as the labour charges won't be any more and you have more peace of mind.

Cheers,

mike

Thanks Mike. Given I am probabaly going to keep the A2 for Life. I think I shall change it.
Thanks again
Cheers
A202

Hi A2O2
Mike has answered the important bit but for info it is a spring loaded plunger assembly which acts on the arm of the tensioner pulley and provides the force to tension the belt. Failure of this unit would have the same result as a snapped timing belt

Cheers Spike

Back