Camber Problem

J@y

Long time no speak, but I desperately need some help.

I have owned my second-hand (first owner was main dealer) '04 A2 for 8 months and have done just over 13k miles (Total Miles = 22k).

Driving home last Friday, my car started to pull towards the driver side, I pulled over and to no surprise I had a puncture. I called Audi Assistance who told me to find someone who had the tyre in stock and they would transport the vehicle.

I took my car to a local garage owned by a friend, who noticed abnormal wear to the tyre which caused it to puncture and after checking found the wear on the same side on the passenger side tyre. He advised me that this was due to a problem with the "camber" and to take it to Audi as they should repair this in warranty.

I took it to my local Audi dealer (where I purchased the car) who have said that the camber is only covered for the 1st year / 10'000 miles. I bought the car with 9000 miles, should this have been checked then?

Please help.

Hi J@y
On A2's the camber setting for each front wheels is not adjustable independently. It can only be 'evened out' by centreing the subframe so if you had excessive negative camber on one wheel, it should have positive camber on the other.
From your mail I gather you had severe wear on the inside edge of both front tyres which suggests other alignement problems. A possible cause of this is excessive toe-in.
For me, the next step is to have a 4 wheel alignment check done on the car. You may be able to persuade the dealer to give you discount on this, particularly if you could find out if the car has had any suspension work done in warranty. Otherwise I don't think you have any comeback on the dealer as they only check tyre condition at major services (normally 2 years or 20,000 mles)

Cheers Spike

I have to agree with spike with ref. to the camber adjustment, just had new tyres and the tracking done, the camber is off but within the recommended limits the toe-in was also off by .5 degrees, tyres were worn down .5mm more on the inside than the outside but both tyres were even.

As for toe-in...thought this caused the outside edge to scrubb whereas tow-out did the inside edge as the tyres are being dragged forward as appose to being pushed..

Any of you forum members now what the toe in / out settings should be, I've recently had new tyres fitted and they set the tracking without asking it now follows every road surface undulation with vigour otherwise known as tramlining, it never did that before, they have redone it but its not much better?

Hi tdiman
The toe-in setting is 4' (with a tolerance of plus or minus 5') per wheel.

Cheers Spike

Many Thanks for all of your help!

I have spoken to my local garage and they have agreed to give me the four wheel alignment check for 1/2 price. I'll update you and let you know what they say.

tdiman said:
Any of you forum members now what the toe in / out settings should be, I've recently had new tyres fitted and they set the tracking without asking it now follows every road surface undulation with vigour otherwise known as tramlining, it never did that before, they have redone it but its not much better?
Of course some tyres tramline more than others - some of what you are feeling may be a characteristic of the tyre. We had a Jag with Pirelli P-Zero Assymetrico's (standard fitment on that model) - they followed every ridge and groove!

Back