Can Bose be retrofitted to RNS-D ?

As above looking to find out if it's feasible.

I have factory installed RNS-D in the FSI and really would like to keep it that way for an easy life.
I used it for the first time since purchase the other day and the sat nav works a charm.:)

Cheers Mark.

Thanks everyone for the response so far, fantastic!! :)

I'm a very happy bunny now because i pretty much want to keep the car as it left the factory albeit with the addition of Bose. Only difference will be the addition of the speaker grills with bose which is a nice thing.

Hi Ian, thanks for pointing out Fallans car for sale and yes your correct it does have that unit and Bose so thanks for pointing it out mate.?

All i need now is 4 perfect bose tweeters and i'm pretty much there apart from the grills which can wait.

Did you manage to do a deal with Joe who has the twist set on eBay?

I spoke with him on the phone, and offered a swap with my black grills but he was not interested. I made it clear i wanted his bose grills and left it with him to get back to me if he would do it a bit cheaper than the £200 he's asking, he didn't. I would probably pay £150 posted and try and sell my black ones for £100. By the way your car looks great and with that spec a bargain! Makes you wonder peoples sanity when they want £200 for just grills. Mind you the market has told him they're not worth it as they've been on sale for months and months.

Wow, £150 is a real decent offer. I think Joe was selling some black ones already perhaps that's why he wasn't keen on taking them? Who knows.

Yes, noticed they're still on sale. I have had a member contact me who wanted me to sell the Platinum ones from the car i'm selling along with the split-able headlights for £200 so they're certainly commanding a decent amount.

Thanks for the kind words, I believe if it wasn't this time of year then my car would have sold for the asking price quite swiftly. Its certainly an example which cannot depreciate considering the extras on it.

Wow, £150 is a real decent offer. I think Joe was selling some black ones already perhaps that's why he wasn't keen on taking them? Who knows.

Yes, noticed they're still on sale. I have had a member contact me who wanted me to sell the Platinum ones from the car i'm selling along with the split-able headlights for £200 so they're certainly commanding a decent amount.

Thanks for the kind words, I believe if it wasn't this time of year then my car would have sold for the asking price quite swiftly. Its certainly an example which cannot depreciate considering the extras on it.

Yes i think it's the time of year and also most A2 owners on here have more than 1 and just cannot find space for another. Imho that car should not be broken for parts it's way to nice for that! I'm hoping a genuine A2 nut wants to buy it and preserve it's uniqueness being so fully laden.

I read you mentioned the engine, all it needs is another decent lump to be swapped in to make a beautiful car all over again. Try to make time for it and just wait until the spring when a buying may come forward.

You’re so right. Engine is perfectly useable, just a little tikky but then again it has done a decent mileage. It’s certainly quieter than a TDi version and I have a 216k tdi which doesn’t feel half as tight component wise.

It’s not that it’s been short of interest really, but like you say most enquiries are from members who already have one.

Ok, so Bose is a go ahead, what next can be added to bring it up to RNS-E spec? This is a 2012 quote from AudiSRS...........

"In my cars
RS4 = RNS-D
B6 A4 = RNS-E

Main difference I find is the screen, miles better on the RNS-E.

Everything else (for me) is nigh on the same in all honesty. Radio frequency selection is a bit better in the RNS-E, though that's nit picking.

Sat-nav, in terms of actually getting you where you want to go (how often do drive along looking at the pretty display??) are both comparable (RNS-D = 2011 maps, RNS-E = 2011 maps)
Both play CD's, both used to play TV (before switch off) both have MMI boxes attached and reverse cameras working. RNS-E has built in SD card reader, my RNS-D has an aftermarket interface allowing SD cards, usb sticks. bluetooth streaming and line in.

Apart from the screen on the RNS-E and the fact it looks lots more modern, the difference isn't enough for me to rip out the RNS-D in the RS4 and replace with the RNS-E (I even have a spare RNS-E)

All in my honest opinion of course :thumb:"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So it seams the only real life downside to the RNS-D when compared to RNS-E is it doesn't have an inbuilt sd card reader. There's the X car link that will provide this but how does that get supplanted into the A2 without being in your face. Does anyone have any pics of it installed? Would the X car link provide a way of playing music via some device? Sorry to be such a technophobe but i'm still using Vinyl. :)

I have my x-car link equivalent (actually "AnyCar" brand) hidden away in the void beneath the steering wheel. If you use it purely with the BT streaming from your phone then it's pretty much a fit and forget device. I would imagine it would work fine with the RNS-D, although I have never actually tried an RNS-D so couldn't really comment. I would imagine that the RNS-D uses the 8-Pin Audi connections, rather than the Quadlock of the RNS-E (which there are 2 versions).

I however, much prefer to use the RNS-E unit with SD-Cards as you can actually see what track titles you are playing and it makes for much better track/album selection rather than the display from X-CarLink which will just say CD1/TRK 1 etc. etc. which isn't a lot of use when you have 500 tracks on the sd-card.

Having said all of this, I am a REAL stickler (bordering on OCD) when it comes to how my music is played/presented so it would bug me a lot more than most people I would imagine. Wifey for example is perfectly happy using her Phone with Bluetooth streaming. It drives me nuts!

In an ideal world having the track info that you get with the RNS-E is great but my overriding want is to keep the original RNS-D.There isn't many left like that now.

One way round the information the rns-e provides would be, although I haven't ever used one, i guess an iPod mp3 player etc will have track info on it.

In an ideal world having the track info that you get with the RNS-E is great but my overriding want is to keep the original RNS-D.There isn't many left like that now.

One way round the information the rns-e provides would be, although I haven't ever used one, i guess an iPod mp3 player etc will have track info on it.

Unfortunately not, all of the X-CarLink type adaptors work in the same way. It's only the genuine ones that show the track info. It's a real shame.

Back