Can I change air filter without crawling under car?

im333

Anyone know if it's possible to change the air filter WITHOUT having to crawl under the car?!

Don't have stands/ramps and find it unsafe to crawl under.

Also, is the oil filter easily visible?

Thanks

Im333

oil filter is pointless to change without an oil change and for that you need to be under the car and have taken the undertray off. So you might as well do the whole thing properly. Get a 32mm or similar spanner, too, it will make life easier.

I think (in fact, I'm pretty sure) that you MUST get under the car to change the airfilter, as the canister is screwed into place there.

Bret

I fear the only way you can do an oil and air flter change WITHOUT crawling under the car is to get the work done by an Audi dealer or a good indy garage.

Last edited:
I use an oil extractor for my oil changes so don't get under the car.

I would assume the oil filter can be changed from the top?

As stated above you need to get under for both

Also oil extractors are a really bad way to change oil... They risk leaving sludge and swarf in the bottom of the sump which puts the engine at risk

Warm the engine and properly drain from underneath is the best way

The extractor drains every drop from the sump. That's verified by the exact quantity.
Much safer than crawling under a tonne!
I always change oil filters with the oil.

Many businesses use oil extractors and not just in the automotive trade.

Yes the oil filter is also easily changed from the top.

I changed the air filter a few months ago and can not imagine how it would be changed without getting underneath the car. Sorry, you're going to have to get your back a bit dirty.

Perfect thanks. That's all I needed to know.
I'll do the oil/filter change myself as well
As the pollen filter and leave the air filter to the local mechanic.

Ps if anyone is interested I got Bosch air and pollen filter and an original audi part oil filter for £21 delivered over the weekend!

Back