Can the boot side trims be pulled back at the top?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I've just replaced my headliner but need to replace the D trim and ideally remove and replace the upper C trim. I did get the D trim out but I'm sure it cannot that go back in unless some space is made.

Boot lining with no D pillar trim annotated.jpg

I've removed the screw S. I know where the clips A, B and C are. I would hope not to remove C as it tends to break and if I use the screwdriver trick to dislodge it then it may not be possible to reattach without removing the whole trim. I understand to remove A it is best to remove the lower C trim LC. and that means taking the seats out.

So, in essence, can I remove pull the side trim forward to release clips A & B so I can tuck the D trim back in? Also does UC simply pull away? I cannot see how to grip it but once the side trim is pulled away, I guess I can get my fingers under the bottom edge and pull!

Thanks

I little hijack this as there is allready a picture of rear hatch and part which I try to remove.
I try to remove the plastic part which surrounds the rear hatch from gas struts to the rear tail lights. There is a pulge in it and between aluminium and this plastic trim a lot of Sbruce needles has collected while my FSI was unused for a long time. A2 has been in warm garage for few months now and I think I have hoovered most of them away but the pulge is still there so grap will collect there in the future. Plastic part has some kind of plastic pins or plastic rivets and at least 2 Torx screws to hold it, non pulging side looks little bit like there is Silicon or some kind glue between plastic and aluminum, may also be only dirt.
I haven't yet try to unscrew it and pull pins out because I want to know more about this part before I use force which may be deadly to the plastic. Would like to know also is there some kind of glue or sealant in this part or do I have to use heat to line it with D pilar aluminium?

I don't remember there being any silicone or glue in there when I removed one on a breaker once (just to see if/how it came off :)). But you will almost certainly break some if not all of the hooked plastic fasteners, and the broken ends will fall down inside the D-pillars. Maybe someone before you had occasion to remove that trim on the other side, and had to use silicone to hold it back on - and they could have just glued the heads of the fasteners back on for better appearance.

Are the pins part of the big plastic part or plastic rivets? Benefit which I love in A2 that it is not allways necessary to get biomaterial and dirt away from hard to reach spaces and car don't rot out after that. I would like to clean under there but don't want to brake anything other than replaceble plastic rivets.
Many kinds of plastic rivets and tools allready on shipping as half of plastic rivets seem to break even with right tools.

Offtopic 2 are stainless screws for wheel liners and other underbody stuff available somewhere with reasonable money?
Some Torx screws were not SS and badly rotted in rear wheel area.

Last edited:
The pins are separate items, sadly. There are barbs on them in order to keep them in the holes once they've been pushed in, so that their circular heads can hold the D-pillar trim in tight to the metal.

Perhaps these photos will help (click to enlarge):

23 Boot lining annotated.jpg
24B Broken clip at position C.JPG
25 Boot trim clip B.JPG

Before pulling way clip B it is best to release the metal part from the white plastic. This can be done by pushing your fingers up behind the trim:

24A Push up the trim clip lr.jpg

If it does not push up then the white part maybe upside down. In this case insert a screwdriver horizontally above the clip and push the metal clip down.

These pictures and more are in this thread:

I think that is a plastic rivet installed little bit different way than usually. Usually rivet base and pin would be between this plastic trim and hatch but when base is against aluminium body and only pin goes trought trim this has maybe nicer look but can't take so much load but there isn't much load there compared to inner mud guards or any plastic parts near road.

I try to take the parts off which are outside of hatch seal, those black trims which are in right up corner of first picture. About 1m long starting from hatch airstrut hole ending to rear lights.

Attachments

• Side trim.jpg
    Side trim.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Back