Can't code MK2 RNS E as "5" A6 ?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I have a "self inflicted" problem with my RNS E.

While trying to find some interesting VCDS mods I must have changed the coding on my RNS E.

The result was that even though it was coded as a "5" (A6) it was acting as if it had no speed sensing and the Sat Nav no longer picks up a speed signal and so freezes.

I tried it coded as an A4 and (obviously) that didn't help, BUT when I tried to change the coding back to A6 it is now saying that the code is out of range.

I can probably guess what is causing this, but I am not sure how to correct it.

I am assuming that the SW has somehow reverted back to the factory (later) versions and so it is not allowing me to code it as an A6.

So I would imagine that I have to go to an earlier version of the software. But can anyone help me with how I can do this please? I will then code it as an A6 and the I suppose I have to up the version again (somehow).

As I say, all self-inflicted, but it would be great if one of the RNS E experts could help me sort out the mess I have created?

Thanks
Steve B

Steve

I suspect that you will have to do as you suggest - downgrade the SW to an older version but the trick is to source said software.

I would like to get a copy of the required software as mine may need changing and I would hate to lose the independence of coding my self. I can't find where the details are for what SW revision it needs to be (think its SW 0150) but the usual suspects will no doubt actual offer up some helpful direction!!

Good luck

Post no.7. Matt refers to the 2010 disc having SW150

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?29600-RNS-E-with-LED-screen

and it is SW150 that Matt refers to in his write up on installing the RNSE as well

Hi Vonnie,

Thanks for that, (and to Matt) I have ordered a 2010 genuine disc from eBay. (I only hope it IS genuine, if it isn't I will be sending it back)

I am assuming that I can use my 2014 disc to upgrade again after I have selected A6.

I am currently googling how to force the downgrade via VCDS, it will be there somewhere.

Steve B

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I will give those instructions a try.

I am a bit worried about the comments in that thread about losing the SDS function though.

But we will see.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

As you say, the cause of this is not being able to code your RNSE to A6 at SW220. The unit must have SW150 or earlier for coding, and can then be upgraded.

When upgrading the software, I may be wrong, but I think that only certain discs contain the SDS information. Hence, if you're using a disc to upgrade that doesn't have SDS, then your RNSE won't have it either.

If you drop me a PM with your address, I can post you a SW150 disc and a SW220 with SDS disc that I made when I installed my own RNSE, if that helps? Let me know. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the offer.

I just bought and paid for a secondhand genuine 2010 disc, working in the IT industry I try, where possible, to use genuine discs, not that I am preaching about piracy again, it is just me.

My "friend" has a current disc with the 7 digit postcode software, he said he might use it to upversion my SW.

Thank you for your offer, I really do appreciate it.

Steve B

Yes you will lose the SDS if you upgrade with a non SDS disk. So it is best to do it with the SDS disk and everything is good.

You can burn just an SDS disk, no maps and it will just flash the firmware.

Once you have this you can run any disk (7 digit or not)

Yes you will lose the SDS if you upgrade with a non SDS disk. So it is best to do it with the SDS disk and everything is good.

You can burn just an SDS disk, no maps and it will just flash the firmware.

Once you have this you can run any disk (7 digit or not)
Hi Craig,

Thank you for that, I know that you pioneered this mod and so I am grateful for your input.

Steve B

Latest update.

I received the genuine 2010 disc and was able to downgrade the sotware from 220 to 150
I had to to use VCDS to set Channel 97 to a "1" on controller 37 (which enables a downversion to be forced)

Now that I am at SW150 I was able to code the RNS E as "5" (A6) again

But I could not get it to upgrade back to SW220 and I still have a frozen Sat Nav screen that does not register any car movements (i.e. not recognising any speed signal?)

I tried the 2014 disc I have and that was not triggering an update (could it be that this disc does not have the software upgrade on it? I thought it was a genuine one) Out of desparation I even tried the discs "my friend" had that contained the upgrade to 7 didgit post codes, but because mine is a Mk2 it is too sensitive and doesn't read copied discs.

Yesterday I contacted HazzyDayz (who did the install) and asked if they could help (especially with the loss of SDS).

He (Gareth) was (as always) very helpful and offered to send me the discs for the SDS software. (Matt is already sending me one, but at the moment I am keen to resolve this, so two is better than one, thanks Matt)

So to sum up I have it coded as an A6 and it is at SW150 but still doesn't recognise any movement from the car, in my attepts to resolve the problem I may have changed something in VCDS so I am workingthrough the settings again.

I will let you know how I get on.

Steve B

I was originally thinking that it could be the GPS antenna disconnected, but it was in fitted correctly.

I happened to have an alternate GPS antenna but when I swapped that it didn't make any difference either.

But now that it all seems to be coded correctly perhaps it was the GPS antenna after all?

I must admit that I am learning a lot while trying to resolve this, but I wish I could find the cause.

Steve B

Probably stating the obvious but is there any fault codes showing up in vcds?
Just thought I would mention as sometimes the obvious gets lost in frustration!

Probably stating the obvious but is there any fault codes showing up in vcds?
Just thought I would mention as sometimes the obvious gets lost in frustration!

Hi Ian,

Yes, that can often happen, so thanks for the suggestion, it is appreciated.

But it is all error free unfortunatley.

Cheers
Steve B

Hi Steve

I always thought the speed signal input was secondary and only really used when there was a loss of satellite signal.
Is there a 'screen' which shows the number of satellites being picked up - think you need at least 4

Even if it is the lack of satellite signals I can't see the logic in why it's suddenly happened following a software glitch.

Cheers Spike

Hi Steve

I always thought the speed signal input was secondary and only really used when there was a loss of satellite signal.
Is there a 'screen' which shows the number of satellites being picked up - think you need at least 4

Even if it is the lack of satellite signals I can't see the logic in why it's suddenly happened following a software glitch.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

I have had a Smart car in the past that was retrofitted with sat nav and because the speed sensor cable was not connected it gave exactly the same symptoms. But I agree that one of the uses of the speed sensor is for tunnels etc. but I think it is used for other things too.

I am starting to think that it MIGHT be a fault in the RNS E that has developed, I had it out several times recently and may have caused a failure by handling it so much.

Steve B

Steve

Have you checked the wire that is installed to the back of the clocks to pickup the speed signal? If you have had it in and out a few times this may have come loose?

Also look at the VCDS logs since you started playing as there may be a setting somewhere you have inadvertently changed and forgotten about?

Good luck

Steve

Have you checked the wire that is installed to the back of the clocks to pickup the speed signal? If you have had it in and out a few times this may have come loose?

Also look at the VCDS logs since you started playing as there may be a setting somewhere you have inadvertently changed and forgotten about?

Good luck

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this, yes I checked the logs from previous VCDS scans, it just shows you how important it is to save these.
So I know that everything is back as it was for the main settings.

I get confused about the speed wire, I thought that once set to an A6 it takes the speedthrough the CAN. But I had the cluster out as well and so it is worth checking that everything is as it should be.

I really appreciate ALL of the input people have made to help narrow this down.

Many thanks
Steve B

I get confused about the speed wire, I thought that once set to an A6 it takes the speedthrough the CAN. But I had the cluster out as well and so it is worth checking that everything is as it should be.
Steve,
The "B" units have a Gala input, so the speed signal is fed that way to the RNS-E, no through CAN. That's the advantage of them.
That should be confirmef by the sticker on the back of your RNS-E, explaining the connectors.

Steve,
The "B" units have a Gala input, so the speed signal is fed that way to the RNS-E, no through CAN. That's the advantage of them.
That should be confirmef by the sticker on the back of your RNS-E, explaining the connectors.
Thanks for that.

I actually think mine is a "D" part number (from memory)

But it has been working for a year or more and so unless something has been disconnected by accident it is going to be tricky to pin down.

I am starting to think it might actually be a system fault.

While driving today, at first the map was stuck and showing my home location, but after driving for a while it suddently jumped to a different spot on the map, in the general area I was in.

Then later it jumped to yet another spot close to where I was.

If I hit "Nav Info" on the RNS E unit (the bottom left button surrounding he main control knob) it shows "8" satellites available? I would imagine that the GPS antenna must be working to know this?

I might check out the speed signal via VCDS to see if that is registering the car's movement.

Since everything is plugged in and the unit is now coded correctly (exactly as it was 0519716) it should be working.

I have checked all connections now and swapped the GPS antenna for another one and yet the RNS E still does not know where it is on the map????

I am starting to clutch at straws now.

Steve B

Back