Car broke down...need help pls!!!!

Was driving home tonight, my journey was some what longer than usual due to traffic so a 15 minute journey took me 45 mins to get to where I did before the car broke down.

Now for the last mile it was stop,start,stop,start etc...then all of a sudden the car just cut out. I tried to restart several times and everytime it started it just switched straight back off. So I managed to push the car to a safe place and fortunately I was only a 10 minute walk from my house so I left the car and walked home absolutely baffed. So seeing as the roads were gridlocked with traffic I thought I would wait and hour before I call out the AA to rescue me. So one hour and a half later they turn up as im walking back to the car....anyway aa man gets out ask the problem to which I explain, then guess what...the bloody thing starts first time :mad: Now what an absolute bell end I look.

So he checks it over lets the car warm up and nothing sweet as a nut. He said it could be the transponder in the key or the oil pressure too high causing the car to switch off? So I drove home parked up and done a scan with these results below. The car has never done this before although I have only had it about 6 weeks.

Anyone had a similar problem or an explanation for these fault codes??

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 036 906 013 F
Component: MED7.5.11 4628
Coding: 00051
Shop #: WSC 02154
WAUZZZ8Z33N009042 AUZ7Z0B2152850
6 Faults Found:
18322 - Pressure Sensor for Brake Boost (G294): Implausible Signal
P1914 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17912 - Intake Air System: Leak Detected
P1504 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17428 - Fuel Pressure Regulation Control Range Exceeded
P1020 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17441 - Sensor for Nox (G295): Signal too Low
P1033 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0010 0000

HI after i looked at your profile to find out what engine we are talking about i see its an fsi. So looking at your codes i would say you may have a nox sensor failing or failed causing the mixture to get out of limits causing a misfire. BUT please keep in mind that error codes are not always the whole truth. I think its best to clear the codes and see how it goes over the next few days/weeks. You don't know how long those codes have been stored in the ecu for as no time stamp is given.
You are running on high octane petrol ? such as tesco momentum. good luck mike

Also check the EGR feed pipe for cracks/leaks--usually hear a loud ticking every couple of seconds. It is a corrugated metal pipe 24mm ish diameter with a heat protecting cloth loosely fitted on it. It runs front to back on right hand side of the engine from exhaust manifold under the high pressure fuel pump to the EGR valve

Last edited:
Hi Mike and thanks for your reply. I scanned the car very recently and the codes were not present so this is definitely something new. With regard to petrol im just using normal unleaded from tesco/sainsburys.

Is a nox sensor an easy/cheap fix? Will check the EGR pipe too this weekend.

Hi the fsi should be run on high octane fuel as this helps with performance and economy. The nox sensor is located in the exhaust but i cant remember if its the one closest to the engine or the second. I have always fitted as recommended by my independent vag service guy only audi sensors due to how "picky" this engine is with its sensors. Replacing should be quite easy where about's are you? i can recommend http://www.coggeshallauto.co.uk located essex herts border near stansted . cheers mike

Agree, 97 Octane everytime.. Try Tesco Momentum 99 too, mine loves that..
Anyway.. maybe worth you looking at a fuel filter, which is a very easy change on the Fsi.
I picked up a batch of grotty fuel which caused much spluttering, coughing and intermittent stopping (which would then be OK for a few more miles after a rest..) This caused the 17428 error too.. Eventually (a few filters later) got a fresh tank of fuel and all been pretty good since..

See http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?10682-Fuel-filter-change-1-6FSI-Very-Easy!&highlight=fsi+fuel+filter

Cheers Dan.

I'd go with the NOX sensor first, it isn't too expensive for the FSI. It is very likely to be an Audi branded NGK sensor anyway like the lambda probes. Misfire in cylinder 4 could also be coilpack. Normally I'd say fix one thing, clear the code then fix the next but a single coilpack is even cheaper than a NOX sensor so it could be a punt worth a bet. However, the traditional advise is change all coils at the same time and while you're at it, do the plugs as well. It will be up to you.

G249 is something else not related to the engine but I'd check the sensor and wiring to the brakes. You really want to know you can safely stop the car once you've got the engine running again!

Back