car overheats if driven over 60 mph

guyboy

my a2 has done 166k on an 02 reg & this fault has just started.temp gauge stays static when warm at 90 then after 10 or so miles it rises fairly quickly to boiling point & then pumps water out of vent hole in header tank.just had fan senser unit replaced £125.00 but no difference.any one had any similar problem. please help :S

Perhaps Spike can offer some more info on this, but to me, it sounds like a possible head gasket problem or a slightly warped head (which although dar from common, are not unheard of in A2s).

Another possibility is a failing water pump, which will eventually lead to the first possible cause happening.

If the car has covered the mileage you say, treat it to a full once over before things get beyond repair.

Cheers,

Mike

PS Great location name - Steeple Bumpstead!

Hi g maddox, welcome to the A2oc
The most likely causes are as Mike and Ian suggest. I would be tempted to check the thermostat first as this is relatively inexpensive - you can test the stat by dangling it in a pan of water on a piece of string. The centre spring loaded disc should move off its seat and be fully open (about 6mm) by the time the water boils. Pull it out and it should close fairly quickly as it cools. .
I have heard tales of water pump impellers coming loose when hot so if your pump has never been replaced this is also a possibility
Check out the attached thread for more info on headgaskets
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4035&highlight=headgasket

Hopefully markross may read this and let us know how his car was fixed

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi, I have heard of this problem when the radiator tubes have filled up with sediment so you could check whether there is a flow at the bottom of the radiator,just another suggestion.

It does sound like exactly the same problem I had. I tried a new water pump & thermostat, but in the end replacing the cylinder head fixed it.

In my quest to find out what was wrong with my car, I have discovered several other people with exactly the same problem, so I'm thinking it is a fault with the A2 itself.

The really bad thing is that most of the time you won't be able to skim the head either, so you will nearly always need a new part. So all you happy A2 owners beware, you could have a very expensive repair coming your way soon!

thanx for message. my poor little audi has certainly worked hard all its life. its been perfect up to now but suffering this minor/major glitch with the overheating.Now coming up to 168k.
p.s steeple bumpstead is tucked away in the corner of suffolk

Did you notice any symptoms before the major overheating started ?
Normally cyl head warping / gasket failure starts with a gradual loss of coolant from a damaged radiator core, hose or leaking water pump seal. If not caught in time the head runs very hot and goes saucer shaped, damaging the gasket in the process.

Cheers Spike

no signs at all.just had light come on one day,took it to audi who could find no leaks or problems & returned it free of charge but still with problem for further diagnosis

Back