cd changer location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griff

I've got an opportunity to acquire a blaupunct (i sure there is a k in there somewhere...just doesn't look right) 10 disc multi-changer(a08)at a good price £130. I know it will work with my headunit (concertII)with the right interfaces etc.

Where has anyone put theirs? (cd changer that is!!!!)

I have concluded the only place it could live is horizontally on boot floor behind the flap for the battery etc. It is too big for glove box (without major deconstruction or shoukld that be destruction of glove box)and too big to sit vertically on side under false boot floor (by about 2cm:(). I dont fancy the footwell space although the thought of a car thief ever finding it there cheers me! Also too big for sat/nav hole in bottom of base.

I suppose I thats it really.....unless anyone has any bright ideas!!!...I know get a smaller changer!!!

Griff

Oh Griff-the cd changer saga!!!. I've been there!.

I have a Panasonic 6-cd changer from my Leon. Recently I got round to trying to place the thing in the A2. I tried:

Glovebox-it was too small, or the changer is too big (whichever way you look at it)
In the boot-stand the unit on it rear and it sticks up just too much and snags the false floor runner either side

As you say, there isn't really anywhere around the battery area without really hacking away at things. If you read the topic a couple below this one, you will see that you can buy the official Audi panel for over the offside rear wheel that houses the 6 cd changer for £70+vat-a bit pricey!.

Alternatives are to try and find a changer that does fit in the glovebox, go for a Sony minidisc changer, stick your changer in the void below the carpet in the frontfootwells, under the seats, or buy the DIN Blaupunkt 5 cd changer and slot it either in the dash (if you have room) or in the boot where the sat-nav cd-rom unit would normally go....

Good luck old chap :D

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

I can't really add any more in the way of help, just moral support. I have an A08 in my Punto (mounted on the back of a rear seat in the boot - no other place without screwing through either the fuel pipe/tank or standard subwoofer). It's interesting to hear that it should work with the Audi head units, which is positive for me taking it with me if I were to get an A2. That is if you find somewhere suitable to mount it!

I also noticed in an ad for Ford (posted in my mailbox in Oslo - where I am for only 10 days more) that they had a Blaubunkt stereo with the small sat-nav screen, just like Fiat. With the technology it seems they must be getting a good share of the OEM stereo market.

Here's a solution I employed for my ex-Fiat Coupe and Clarion auto-changer. Buy one of those plastic tool case boxes (they look a bit like a small black briefcase). You can buy them from Maplins Electronics in various sizes to suit the size of changer you have. Cut a hole where the case hinges at the back for the cable to exit. Put a bit of foam inside to stop the CD player sliding about. Stick some velcro strips to the underside of the plastic box and velcro to the battery or false boot floor.

Advantages - CD player is removable (useful if you don't want to leave it in the car), is held firmly in place by the velcro, and is protected from your damage by the plastic case.

Disadvantages - isn't quite as nice as having a pukka installation.

Works for me.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

For reference the following site (interface manufacturer) is a good place to check connectivity of cd changers to head units. It also gives instructions for installing. I'm sure Interfaces can be ordered from Halfords if not already stocked (thats where I got the site from!).

www.icdltd.net

Griff

Fit it in the Audi position under the back shelf on the right. You can buy the rear threequarter panel relatively cheaply and it is a good location for the unit.

icon_smile_cool.gif

maersk-£70+vat!. Do you know where you can get them cheaper?

Sorry, no.
I'll write and complain to Audi UK. I got mine free from my dealer. Seriously.
Working for VWAudi UK has its compensations.

[}:)] This is also a windup [}:)]

icon_smile_cool.gif

I recently purchased the rear panel from Audi that has been referred to above. Perhaps Maersk might want to ask Audi whether they have any facilities for recylcing the original panel that I've got?

Incidentally, I've found a chap who works for Audi who's going to fit a changer for me. I can pass your details on to him if you want, but I guess it depends on where you live and whether you or he is willing?

Isn't the space next to the battery big enough? It's for the sat nav option DVD player, which I would have expected to be a 'standard' size unit.

MartinW - Dolphin Grey 1.4SE

martinw-afraid not-the space is for a single cdrom drive. I think it's standard DIN size, so the only chager I know that is DIN is Blaupunkts 5 disc changer.

I tried my Panasonic 6 cd changer and it wouldn't fit in the space without removing the cradle that is there and chopping some of the trim!.

martinw-I've talked about this further up in the topic-the supports for the false floor are just lower than the changer (well my panasonic anyway)!.

I'm taking up singing lessons instead of the chnager!!

If anyones interested, my Audi dealer quoted £599 to supply and fit a 6 CD changer.

I read in the manual, that on some variants it is possible to store the jack, compressor and tyre fluid in the passenger / driver (UK) floor void. So if you manage to get the foam tray that fits in the void, then perhaps you can relocate the tools there, and free up space in the boot for an auto-changer. I've not validated the idea, but it maybe worth investigating.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

Just admiring all the A2's on the A2OC and noticed a changer sunk into the floor in the boot on Wilfred Van't Hart's car. He's removed the bottle of tyre gunk and put the changer in that location (European page 1).

Don't know if this is an easy mod to carry out but it definitely looks good.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Don't know for sure Steve (sic.) but you are probably looking at the CD rom unit for satnav.

icon_smile_cool.gif

maersk
A lot of people think the satnav cdrom cradle is sufficient for a cd changer-it isn't, unles you go for the Blaupunkt DIN 5 cd changer, but I've been told this isn't compatible with the Concert II (at least). A new headunit would be in order (but the Blaupunkt headunits are tasty anyway, so that isn't a hardship!).

quote:Originally posted by runboy

If anyones interested, my Audi dealer quoted £599 to supply and fit a 6 CD changer.

Hey runboy or who ever else might be interested!! Found something that might solve ur CD-Changer problem! Again it's on the german ebay, but here is a quick translation and the link, if u want to contact the guy!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1784302993&rd=1

As for the details:

"Original & CD Changer, 8N8 035 111A for Audi A2 includes fittings and Bootpanels for fitting. Color grey and without Bootfloor" (not sure what he want to tell us with the Bootfloor). The package does not include the wirings, though.

Anyway, might be worth asking the seller for some more details. At the moment the auction runs for another 4days (I know still some time to go) and stands at 30Euros which is about 20 quid!

A2 1.4TDI Silver, still standard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back