Central locking locking car on its own(With key in ignition!)

imp999

The car has just locked itself with the key still in the ignition.
Prior to this one or more of the locks constantly activates every 30 seconds or so.
Is this a "Feature" of the central locking system? If so can it be re-programmed so it only locks via the fob?

We have a spare key........somewhere.........
2000 1.4tdi

This sounds like a CCCU fault, quite common on that age of A2 with the first-generation CCCU. The later ones are more reliable but they have key fobs that transmit on a different frequency so you will need new remotes (just the button half). Ask our breakers @A2Steve @Clackers @Ami for an 'AF'-suffix CCCU and fobs (or an AE if you have rear electric windows). It's a straight swap, you just need to get into the compartment under the front passenger floor.

Reactions: Ami
I just sold my last AE for cars with rear electrics, but have AF ( can supply a D type fob which will need coding to the AF ),
also have a Q with fob, this will be a straight swap.

As the car has locked itself I suspect the drivers door is not registering as open. So would be looking into the door locks BEFORE considering a CCCU swap. A full VCDS scan would certainly help diagnose.

The car has just locked itself with the key still in the ignition.
Prior to this one or more of the locks constantly activates every 30 seconds or so.
Is this a "Feature" of the central locking system? If so can it be re-programmed so it only locks via the fob?

We have a spare key........somewhere.........
2000 1.4tdi
Scan with vagcom, could be faulty lock or bcm module

As the car has locked itself I suspect the drivers door is not registering as open. So would be looking into the door locks BEFORE considering a CCCU swap. A full VCDS scan would certainly help diagnose.
The A2 does indeed auto-relock after 30 seconds if it hasn't detected a door being opened, but not every 30 seconds. It's not impossible that both faults are present though, so a second fob for whatever replacement CCCU would certainly be advisable, even if the spare key is found.

Right, then. Thanks for your replies, Guys.
Daughter had left the spare in the glove box!!!
However, she redeemed herself by coming up with, & performing, the breaking in.

So, to be clear. I stop the car. Get out & shut the door. 30 seconds later the doors all lock but no alarm set. 30 seconds later it locks again. 30 seconds later......... This keeps going until I use the fob to lock the car when the alarm is activated, the car locks & then all is quiet.

I was connected via VCDS yesterday for the first time & only found an ABS fault that I cleared. But I might not have been looking in the right place.

I'll have a fiddle with it before I go swapping that CCCU out. It might not be registering one or more of the doors as locked but then why is everything OK after a fob lock?

I have now fixed the Central locking.
I had to buy an AF CCCU that came with the matching fob. The first one I bought said AF on the casing but VCDS-lite identified it as an AE!!
I then used VCDS-lite to re-programme another fob off Ebay.
I found that VCDS-lite gives no "Bubbled" description if I hover the curser over the windows. This is a shame but I followed a youtube vid of someone doing the fob programming.
My Daughter(& me) love the car - & so does my other daughter who now wants one!

I had to buy an AF CCCU that came with the matching fob. The first one I bought said AF on the casing but VCDS-lite identified it as an AE!!
I found that VCDS-lite gives no "Bubbled" description if I hover the curser over the windows. This is a shame but I followed a youtube vid of someone doing the fob programming.
Morning,

Glad your central locking woes have been resolved, it’s so satisfying what a quick change over can do isn’t it. Of note, having a CCCU which states AF on its exterior but is identified as AE within VCDS seems quite normal to me. The CCCU in one of the fleet here has the exact same, cannot remember if it’s the OEM or EUD A2 but still functions perfectly.

Kind regards,

Tom

Of note, having a CCCU which states AF on its exterior but is identified as AE within VCDS seems quite normal to me. The CCCU in one of the fleet here has the exact same
An AE CCCU can only support electric rear windows, where it communicates with the rear door controllers about the lock state and lock operations, rather than directly with the door locks, as would be required with manual rear windows. An AF CCCU has the additional capability to talk to the door locks, but can also be coded in VCDS to support electric rear windows. I wonder if this how that's achieved, by VCDS effectively telling it that it's an AE?

Within VCDS i went to the area that controls windows in the back. It would not let me change the code from (2 to 3, I think) to cope with manual windows. I did not try to re-name it as AF.
I think I have seen someone on here who can alter these units from AE to AF or vice versa.

Can I ask how much this cccu cost and where do I get one? I seem to have this exact same problem. Also I won't be able to do the fob programming, would a general mechanic be able to do it? Thanks.

Try an ad in the Market Place for a pre-owned CCU, and locksmith such as Timpsons may be able to help with the fob, but check Free Scan Register, on here, for a member, not too far away, who can help.
Mac.

Hi, Krina.
I got the CCCU off eBay (cfautomotive - very helpful) but there are guys on here who break cars & sell them.
You need to read the part number on the one you have fitted so you can get the same OR the updated versio.
If you buy one that has a matching fob/s then it is easy - just swap the old blades into the new fobs.
If you have to buy fob/s then someone with VCDS - lite or better can re-programme them quite easliy.

Not many companies out there willing to repair CCCU's. Then they are often not in the UK and will not deal with us. A known working replacement is usually the quickest and cheapest option.

Back