Central locking

crb1011

I have discovered that when I manually unlock my car using the key in the drivers lock it only unlocks the drivers door but the alarm light goes out but the alarm is not deactivated. I can lock all doors manually and activate the alarm All is Ok using the remote.
Anyone else had this problem and should I take it to the dealer to have a look at. Not too bothered as I use the remote any way but it would be good to know tht i can unlock all doors manualy.

Hi crb
Just checked my (2001) car and it works exactly the same way. The only additional thing I found was that if you unlock the drivers door then immediately put the key in the ignition and switch on, the rest of the doors unlock and the alarm is fully de-activated - so at least you can drive the car if the remote is not working.
I did check the handbook (drastic measures) and there is a section on 'Security central locking' (page 17) This says only the drivers door is unlocked with the first turn of the key and a second turn is needed to open the other doors but this did not work on my car.
Think we need a few more members to check this out to see what the 'norm' is

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that Spike. Just gone and unlocked the drivers door and turned on the ignition and ......... all the doors unlock and the alarm is deactivated. Checked the hand book and cant seem to find where is says to do that. When I first unlocked it earlier never thought about turning the ignition. Thank goodness for the forum would have looked a bi stupid taking it in to the dealer.
Cheers again Spike.

My Dad's old A6 has the function where a single turn of the key in the drivers door only unlocks that door - a 2nd turn unlocks the rest. This was before remote central locking!

Can't be sure but I'm sure this is what it says in the manual in the alarm section. at the very least I knew that if you unlock with the key the alarm only goes off if you insert the ignition key within a certain time.

The security locking can be turned on with a VAG com. This gives you a single press of the remote to open the drivers door only and 2 clicks to open all. You can also get anti-hijack turned on as well. this locks the doors at 10mph and unlocks them when you take the key out of the ignition. Skipton did mine when he fitted the cruise.

Back