Centre console top face query

sco

A2OC Donor
On the centre console directly above the air vents is a reasonably flat panel with what looks like an edge all the way around - is the edge just a styling detail or does the panel come out? Thinking about a custom sat-nav install and would be easiest if I could get this panel out for fixings / wiring etc.

Cheers,

Simon.

On the centre console directly above the air vents is a reasonably flat panel with what looks like an edge all the way around - is the edge just a styling detail or does the panel come out? Thinking about a custom sat-nav install and would be easiest if I could get this panel out for fixings / wiring etc.

Cheers,

Simon.

It is just a moulding line and you would have to cut it out if you want to try and site a sat nav in there.

David (DJ190) has been experimenting with this and may be along shortly.

The problem is that there is not much depth availabe because of the ducting for the vents.

If you don't mind losing that function then it is doable.

But you need to do some cutting and fabrication.

Steve B

I did briefly consider sticking one of those aftermarket dash top folding stereos in there, but then you would end up with a mass of unused space on the centre console. You could if you were feeling brave use a system out of another manufacturer that has a cd deck in the dash, and a separate screen on the dash top that unfolds.

Thanks that thread is absolutely brilliant - has shown exactly what is involved and given me a few new ideas!

Cheers,

Simon.

I'm pretty close to my "final" version of this mod, so hold fire until you see it! It makes my first attempt look quite basic and crude! Here's some of the features :- The lid is press-to-open/press-to-close. It is covered in blue leather and has a border of narrow chrome strip. (The blue leather also appears on the dash passenger grab-rail and the instrument binnacle cover). Under the pop-up cover is a specially fabricated aluminium tray which houses the sat-nav unit. This fits in a pivoting alloy frame which readily allows the sat-nav to be removed for use in other vehicles. The sat-nav swings up to a vertical position and automatically locks into place with the use of two side-arms. The whole sat-nav frame is also easily removable, so the tray can be used for just storage when the sat-nav is absent.I have been able to achieve a much better result because I have had a spare dash to work-on! I'm doing other work at the same time, such as improving cabling and sound-deadening, so that has delayed the end-result, but I'm getting there! I've taken a few photos for the A2OC to peruse, when I've completed the project.

David

I'm pretty close to my "final" version of this mod, so hold fire until you see it! It makes my first attempt look quite basic and crude! Here's some of the features :- The lid is press-to-open/press-to-close. It is covered in blue leather and has a border of narrow chrome strip. (The blue leather also appears on the dash passenger grab-rail and the instrument binnacle cover). Under the pop-up cover is a specially fabricated aluminium tray which houses the sat-nav unit. This fits in a pivoting alloy frame which readily allows the sat-nav to be removed for use in other vehicles. The sat-nav swings up to a vertical position and automatically locks into place with the use of two side-arms. The whole sat-nav frame is also easily removable, so the tray can be used for just storage when the sat-nav is absent.I have been able to achieve a much better result because I have had a spare dash to work-on! I'm doing other work at the same time, such as improving cabling and sound-deadening, so that has delayed the end-result, but I'm getting there! I've taken a few photos for the A2OC to peruse, when I've completed the project.

David

This I have to see! :D

Back