Change engine from 1.4 petrol to 1.4 TDI

Jan

Dear all

I found a really nice A2, with a 1.4 petrol engine. I do not like these engines too much, so I would like to make it a TDI by exchanging the engine from another A2. So basically switch engine etc in the two cars. Have anyone tried this? and if so, would it be recommended? Or was it really a nightmare I might get my self into?

All the best,
Jan

Nothing is impossible but it would mean rebuilding almost the entire car. Not just engine and relative components, but suspensions, transmission, electronics....the list goes on, for a cost that would probably make no sense, unless you own Natwest.

It's been done by Jigsaw but involves a lot of re-wiring.

If you are going to that expense then you would be better off fitting a more powerful petrol engine.

Thank you very much for all these answers. I do not dare to start this project, sounds way to complex. Any ideas of how to make the 1.4 petrol engine run much better?
best regards, Jan

Fix the problems with it! Broken breathers, broken injectors. Should be easy to make it smooth as silk once again. You just need to know not what’s broken on it, just what is only working at 50%

I would agree, different gearbox, wiring to engine / from ECU, ECU itself, all the fuel system, fuel cooler mounting, the list would be massive and would make NO financial sense, not to mention you would still be paying the petrol road tax when the TDI is around £35

Fix the problems with it! Broken breathers, broken injectors. Should be easy to make it smooth as silk once again. You just need to know not what’s broken on it, just what is only working at 50%

Thanks - the car is working perfectly, its just the engine is slow as a petrol. But thanks again for all the comments, I will stay out of this project and see if I can find a TDI or something else :) have a great summer

A properly looked after 1.4 AUA or BBY runs considerably better than one that just runs and doesn't feel that weezy at all once going except up steep hills. Granted the 1.6 fs and tdi has much more torque but those little petrol engines are super smooth and quite sprightly i find. Keep it, service it to within an inch of it's life and enjoy it. ;)

Rev it , don't rev it, use the midrange - the 1.4i just doesn't seem to want to go compared to the rest of the range.

It's also hampered by the ridiculous stalling (or fear of it) when pulling away.

But it's an A2 so it's kind of forgiven plus the gear change is good and turn in excellent, especially on grippy tyres

Back