Changing a bulb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart_D

Past Member
One of my main beam bulbs has blown. I just purchased a new bulb at the grand price of £7.05

The local dealer suggested that they fit it for me which would be 30 mins work at a total cost of around £50.00

It can't be that hard! Has anyone ever changed a bulb themselves? Have you got any advice/instructions?

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

doesnt it have to be resealed after fitting to ensure no condensation, or at least as little as possible, i think that if you do a search in the forum u will find some answers as i have seen a similar post before.

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

1.4TDiSE 2002, Biege interior, Brilliant Black, Concert II.

Stuart.

I believe I may have sent you an e-mail about this before I joined the forum??

If you find it before I do Please Post It

Lee,
TDI SE,
Dolphin Grey,
6 Disc Changer (Fitted by me)

£50!.

HA HA HE HE

Makes you laugh don't it....they were joking weren't they Stuart?.

Thieving swines!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Stuart, ignore the e-mail I posted it under the "headlight condensation" so here it is again..

I have to agree that the light on mine were dull/dim when I first had it, I thought the easy option was to change the bulbs to phillips 50% brighter ones, this however was not proving easy, after removing the bonnet and finding the securing clips I still could not remove the old ones, I contacted the local Audi center who advised me the onle way to change the bulbs was to REMOVE the whole light unit, this is a lot simpler than it sounds, there are 2 star screws on the fitting if you remove these and pull the unit forward it pops out (you have to be firm), this does not effect the light levels as the units have 2 locating lugs so when you refit the unit it sits in the same position as before.

Hope this helps

Lee,
TDI SE,
Dolphin Grey,
6 Disc Changer (Fitted by me)

In the netherlands they change the bulbs under warranty or they do it for free. If they want to charge for it they should have made it possible to do so !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I have done it it is as easy as with any other car you just need a blanket to put on the front thing where the motor is under*(sorry I dont know the name in English)
If it is of you pull back the rubber at the back of the headlight remove the little spring thing at the back of the bulb.
Than remove the old bulb and put the new one in without touching the lamp itselfwhen you replace the spring thing you can only do it one way otherwise the bulb is upside down.
Putt back the rubber than close the bonnet attach under the service thing the 2 screws close it and it is done.;)
:)I think this typing now takes longer than replacing the bulb:D

Jeff Huisman
2000 silver coloured A2 with some options :)

Right, I have to admit it was a little challenging and slightly awkward but I sucessfully changed the bulb last night. To be honest the only time I ever want to visit a dealer is for services, I have no intention of ever paying anyone to do something routine such as changing a light bulb!

I was hoping to find a few details in the owners handbook, but the only advice given is to contact your local dealer. This alone is ridiculous...what are you supposed to do if you are on holiday on a pitch black country road - contact your local dealer?

The steps are as follows:
1) Remove bonnet (always lots of fun doing this)
2) Remove plastic covering behind headlamp held down by a single metal clip
3) Stick hand into headlamp casing and flick back metal clip holding light bulb in
4) Unplug bulb from wiring loom plug
5) Plug new bulb into wiring loom
6) Do not touch the bulb!
7) Put bulb back through hole and secure back with metal clip
8) Replace plastic lamp covering securely - this cannot be done incorrectly otherwise clip cannot closed properly
9) Hey presto...new working light bulb!

Simple. One word of advice: It helps if you have small hands.

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

quote:Originally posted by Stuart_D
Simple. One word of advice: It helps if you have small hands.

You mean get the wife to do it !! :)

They told me that you can always contact the Audi service to change a bulb, they will come to you and repair it. This is not so convenient when you're on holiday but when you're at work it's nice !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back