Changing my steering wheel advice please...

Hi i have bought the pictured steeriong wheel below and plan to fit it to my A2.

Does anyone have any idea if it will fit or if its likely to be a different attachment etc... and also views on what it will look like would be appreciated :D

Picture_013.sized.jpg

From past experience of changing a steering wheel iin a VAG group car, I reckon the airbag connector will be the same

You should be ok, but there will probably be the need for a slight bit of modification of the metal work, through which the airbag loom passes.

Most face-lift Audis using this wheel design have a new style slip-ring behind the wheel, to which the loom connects and hence the need for a change. You may be lucky though!

One final point - always, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before working on the airbag system.

thanks skip. ill let you all know how it goes.

im paying £40 for the wheel so even if it doesnt work i wont be majorly out of pocket.

still id like to hear comments on whether anyone thinks this will look nice or otherwise..?

Is that £40 including the airbag - if so, where's it knocked off from?

I've been trying to get hold of a 3-spoker with the multifunction controls, but no joy so far.

You will note the reference to an SFG airbag - that is a single frame grille (the fancy name Audi have given their new nose-job).

Infortunately, your existing bag, whether from a 3 or 4 spoke wheel, will not fit 0 the securing bosses are in the wrong place and it is a different shape.

Whatever you do, don't even contemplate modding the airbag, cos it could kill you if it goes off inadvertantly.

I think Spike will know. I think he has the 3 spoke wheel with a TT airbag if I remember correctly.
I'm sure he'll pop in tonight. :)

SantfeKuss - All 3 spoke wheels up until the introduction of the new-style SFG bag wheel had bags that were interchangeable and they all physically fit each other.

Several forum members have successfully changed their steering wheels for different models, but all of them have stayed within the 3 spoke design, regardless of whether it was a TT wheel, an S-line model or whatever.

Stand Alone has obtained one of the new-type 3 spokers which is completely incompatible with anything except the SFG airbag.

I thank you!

Skipton01 said:
SantfeKuss - All 3 spoke wheels up until the introduction of the new-style SFG bag wheel had bags that were interchangeable and they all physically fit each other.

Several forum members have successfully changed their steering wheels for different models, but all of them have stayed within the 3 spoke design, regardless of whether it was a TT wheel, an S-line model or whatever.

Stand Alone has obtained one of the new-type 3 spokers which is completely incompatible with anything except the SFG airbag.

I thank you!

They all look the same to me ... round :D

To look at, the A2 and TT wheels are pretty much the same, the only real difference is the silver trim on the airbag unit.

Andyman
My car came with the 3 spoke sports wheel so all I did was buy a TT airbag unit off e.bay and fit that in place of the standard wheel centre. The wiring etc was identical. If I can work out how to post a pic, i'll do it

Cheers Spike

Back