CHEAPER REPLACEMENT TYRES - Wider?

A

A2@NW3

Hi,
I love my A2 1.4 tdi but I seem to shred the tyres too often on curbs and at petrol stations. I have been replacing them dilligently with the ones they came with, 175/60/15V NCT5, in pairs, and they are pricey! I was told by one tyre fitter that I could get different tire widths that would be cheaper because they are a more common item than the ones I have. I have also found that it is hard to find dealers with these in stock, so I'm always waiting around for delivery.

Any thoughts? I don't want to get new wheels, just something more affordable, I guess 185 xx 15?

Thanks!
A2@NW3

I have just had a full set of tyres fitted at home by Event tyres who come to you.Fitted in less than an hour by a very competent tyre fitter,check out their website.

Okey dokey,

for a cheaper tyre, you need to look at 195 section tyres - they are very common compared to 185s and 175s.

For instance, you can get a set of Toyo ProX T1-R in 195/55 R 15 for a very reasonable £44.50 each.

The overall diameter of the tyres is 596mm, compared with 591mm for your current setup and Toyo state that they are suitable for rim widths of 5.5 inches up to 7 inches, so they are completely compatible with your existing wheels.

Whatever make you decide in, 195/55 R 15 is the best choice of size. The only downsides to changing up widths is that road noise will slightly increase and fuel economy will worsen slightly. On the plus side though, you'll have much more grip and more money left over than if you'd bought 175 section tyres.

Cheers,

Mike

Back