cheapest diesel

Don't know if anyone else has noticed (or even that it isnt just the single local station) but today is V-power day. so V-power diesel is the same price as regular until 10pm tonight! I managed to accidently find this out last night when I found the new A2 does 349.5 miles from brim to beep... Hoping for more out of V-power....

I have started driving at 50mph instead of 70 or 60. This is saving me a lot of fuel, particularly on long journeys. Apparently, generally speaking, the most efficient speed to travel is at 45-50mph. When driving normally without thinking about fuel economy then I usually get between 350 and 400 miles from a tank. But I found on a recent long motorway journey that, when I travelled at an average speed of about 50mph, that I actually returned about 450 miles from a tank. Also I am not using the car for short journeys any more and it is now usually cheaper for me to travel by car (A2) than public transport (considering fuel cost alone versus bus/train fare). If diesel gets ridiculously expensive then I will think more strongly about a WVO conversion kit. If that becomes unfeasable then I guess I wont have a car which is no problem. I think too many people are psychologically attached to their motor vehicles for little reason. We don't all need cars to be happy! In fact I would be a lot richer without a car!

Last edited:
When driving normally without thinking about fuel economy then I usually get between 350 and 400 miles from a tank. But I found on a recent long motorway journey that, when I travelled at an average speed of about 50mph, that I actually returned about 450 miles from a tank.
Do u have the larger fuel tank as i manage about 320 miles on a tankfull thats a big difference .....

Thats just what i was going to ask, i've got 1.4 tdi (75) with the small tank, got 512 miles from full to well in to the light coming on, it was with V-power and i was not hanging around 70mph+ so not trying to save fuel
I normally get around the 350 to 400 mark combined

Cheers Phil

I have a TDI 75 and as far as I am aware it is the standard tank. 450-ish miles was achieved on more or less solid motorway at 45-50mph. I was driving slowly due to the fact I had a burst CV gaitor and should not have been driving it at all. At the moment I am able to get around 390 - 400 miles per tank as I mainly use the car on A-Roads but still use it occasionally for trips to the supermarket etc. This is with me driving at 50mph when I am able to without holding up too much traffic. Before I began doing this then perhaps I got around 320 miles as well. Thing is, with fuel prices going up, are we going to simply buy the same amount of fuel and make savings in other aspects of our lifestyle so that the oil company fatcat shareholders can line their pockets even more or are we going to use less fuel. I'm using less fuel because I think that the price is artificially high in that it doesn't need to be and I refuse to rise to the bait. Also I am not one of these 'panic buyers'. I saw them queuing at the pumps today when I went to fill up (due to my tank being nearly empty I hasten to add). They are just adding fuel to the fire (no pun intended). The more people panic then the easier it is for oil firms to jack up the price. There is plenty of fuel and no need to panic buy.

PS. I aim to get 100 miles for every quarter section of the fuel gauge and if I am managing that then I figure I am doing pretty well. 400 miles on a tank is pretty respectable I think but as I say, I don't normally get into the car unless I am driving at least 40 miles - My girlfriend lives 40 miles away and my close family lives 40 miles in the other direction.

First the Grangemouth strike over pensions and now the truck drivers whinging about an average salary of £32K per annum? That is 2 seperate-issue oil industry strikes in as many months and it is obvious that the unions are taking advantage of the fact that much of the public are anxious over the stability of fuel supplies. My bet is that the unions hope the government will give in to pressure to intervene and provide funds for the wage increase or encourage oil firms to relent to the demands. Slimy, greedy, cowardly and pathetic. The striking drivers should be sacked and replaced with eastern europeans who will do the job for half the salary. That would give them something to whinge about! If they paid for my driver training then I would happily do the job for £20K PA. It's driving a truck, not rocket science.

Last edited:
Back