Cheep tyres: Star Performer UHP

not tried them but i have just bought 4 Nexen n blue eco tyres 195 55 15 85v for £160 delivered. check out the reviews on them they were on a par with some of the larger more illustrious brands especially wet grip.

Some cheap tyres can be ok, but as usual they are not cheap without reason.

In this case the "F" rating on economy means that if you are watching your MPG you might find that drops off noticeably.

It is easy to say that you should not buy cheap tyres, why compromise on safety, but if your budget is restricted and your current tyres are badly worn, then it would be better to fit new tyres than use your worn ones.

One drawback from some tyres is high road noise, but that rating doesn't seem too bad on these and a very good rating on wet grip. So it just seems to be the fuel economy that is not great and that may not be vitally important to you.

Steve B

out of interest how much difference in real world mpg are we talking on say an F rated tyre and the best rated???

out of interest how much difference in real world mpg are we talking on say an F rated tyre and the best rated???

I would imagine that a couple of MPG at worst, so not significant, but over the life of the tyre that does add a significant cost I suppose?

But an economical tyre that is slightly under inflated would lose at least that anyway (and lots more if under inflated by a lot *it happens!)

Steve B

Having bought and driven my last two cars which both came with cheap budget tyres it (my opinion) has totally transformed my car when I switched to branded rubber. While my X-Trail tyres were getting low and needed changed my Civic diesel didn't - the rear tyre walls were starting to show signs of degradation and one had kerb damage to the wall (original Michelin - 6 years old but still 4mm+) and at the front a Kenda and a Nangkang at the both 5mm+. The Nangkang had cracked badly on the sidewall yet didn't appear all that old. Rear always felt planted and Grip in the dry from the fronts was fine. Big difference was when the roads got greasy or wet - the fronts would under steer quickly or when accelerating from a stand still (roundabout etc) they would spin easily from the torque of the Diesel engine.
I changed all four at MOT time to Goodyear Eagle. Yes prob overkill - bro in law uses them on his 250+Bhp Civic Type R but the ride and handling are totally transformed. Quiet and performance wise show no signs of under steer or spinning when pushed to my comfort level.
I am now a strong advocate of 'buy the best' you can afford. Speak to members who have used these tyres and research online. :cool:

It says 6mpg On I think blackcircles.

Thanks for that.

The loss of MPG can only be due to increased rolling resistance, but this could also be the cause of such a high score for wet grip. The more that the tyres are gripping the road, the less economical they are. So a case of swings and roundabouts.

But 6 MPG is 10% so you need to consider that on top of your current annual fuel bill. so they may be cheap to buy but over their life they would be very expensive.

But do you want economy or grip?

Steve B

Last edited:
The loss of MPG can only be due to increased rolling resistance, but this could also be the cause of such a high score for wet grip. The more that the tyres are gripping the road, the less economical they are. So a case of swings and roundabouts.
A cheapo chinese tyre that has good wet grip, that's a rare beast !

Back