Chipping Alfie

Kaismummy

Hi guys
My husband is trying to convince me to get Alfie chipped he shows me these pretty graphs that mean not much to me and then says that the car will drive better if it was chipped. (He is getting a good deal as he is getting his A3 chipped too:rolleyes:) I have been complaining a bit that i constantly have to shift up and down gears around town. I have read some of the past threads and it seems like a good idea but there is only one thing bothering me, it may seem trivial to you lot though. Do I have to tell my insurance company about the chip, will my premium go up a lot? Will they know its been chipped?????:confused:

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

In simple terms 'yes' you should always tell your insurance provider about customised additions to your car, whether it be a body kit, new alloys or a chip.

Where the body kit and alloy wheels are obvious to the naked eye however, a chip is only detectable by someone in the know using the correct equipment and understanding the standard settings from the new modified ones. In real terms if you have an accident any subsequent insurance investigator will check that your car is as described to them, but they will rarely employ a technician to check engine mapping unless there are real grounds for suspicion and this is unlikely as there are no obvious signs.

Some of the members with remaps have opted to tell the insurers and others haven't; the premium increase will vary from insurer to insurer and will depend upon your own driving history too of course - budget for at least an extra £50 though.

Whether you choose to be honest or not, that really is your own personal choice.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks for the advice Darren. I notice that you have had your A2 re-mapped. Did it make the car more "drivable" and how has it affected your fuel economy?

Thanks for the advice Darren. I notice that you have had your A2 re-mapped. Did it make the car more "drivable" and how has it affected your fuel economy?

The car is much more refined in every way. The torque has increased significantly which makes general acceleration much quicker, noticeable and more pronounced. Where the engine would rev at a moderate pace to 3000rpm and then 'gradually and reluctantly' continue higher pre remap, the engine now willingly and eagerly gets to 3000rpm much quicker and continues in the same vane to the red line - if you really feel the urge. ;)

As for economy, I haven't noticed any negatives what-so-ever. I don't drive hard often, :)D), and the increased performance means that I rev less than before to get to the same speed in the same time. Thus fuel consumption has been unaffected unless I decide to play heavy right foot of course.

I am not sure what 'Alfie' is, but the TDI gains are more beneficial and noticeable than the petrol models.

I would thoroughly recommend a remapped TDI to anyone, in many ways it transforms the car to how it should have been - the best compliment and testament that I can give.

I recommend that you entrust 'Alfie' to either Stealth Racing or Awesome GTI.

Good luck in your choice.

Cheers,

Darren

Cheers Darren.

"Alfie" is a TDi [75] and you have just convinced me. Husband will be happy. :D I will post the results [not that I will understand them :confused:]

Back