Chrome bezel ring for auto headlights conversion

audifan

A2OC Donor
I fitted an auto headlight switch designed for a golf mk4 bought off ebay. I decided that i wanted to use the new switch as is and set about measuring the external diameter. I transferred this dimension onto the a2 faceplate then used a dremel to cut most of the material away and finished off the molten plastic burr with a half round file. The hole was not perfect but the switch fitted. I reassembled the switch and faceplate and reattached to dash. This has worked fine for the last few months but I wanted something better.
I found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VW-Golf-4-MK4-Bora-98-05-Aluminium-Surround-Chrome-Ring-For-Light-Switch-New/292178121201?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
it is designed for the mk4 switch so bought it.
When it arrived I found the switch was a nice tight fit inside the chrome ring but it was slightly bigger than the hole I made in the faceplate. After a small amount of filing I had a nice tight fit in the faceplate also. Reassembled everything and think it looks great.
You can either lock the switch into the dash and have it more recessed or have it flush with the ring, whatever you prefer.
Took a few pictures.
WP_20181003_15_32_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20181003_15_33_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20181003_16_07_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20181003_16_52_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20181003_16_52_31_Pro.jpg

Actually matches the instrument panel quite well. Looks almost OEM.

I was looking for one of those after they were mentioned a few months ago in another thread but never managed to find it - thanks for posting the link. I've installed the switch unit into my original non-auto housing without the facia clip-on ring that has the extra icon for the sensor setting at the moment. I found that Lidl have a 62-3mm holesaw in a set of hole saws I bought from there last year that is almost the perfect diameter to cut the existing bevelled surface away from the back - just haven't got round to it yet as I need to make a clamp-on template to centre the drill bit in the middle.

One question : on my switch, when the wee retractable teeth that hold the unit into the dash are returned to the fitted position after installation, the light switch itself is 5-6mm deeper into the dash than the original. I've seen this mentioned here previously. How did you get around this and make yours sit at the correct depth once the facia has been cut and this surround ring fitted?

Hi Robin
In my third picture the switch is locked into the dash using the 3 cam lugs and is about 6mm below the surface. In the other pictures, because the ring is such a snug fit on the switch you can position it inside the ring anywhere from proud to recessed without the need for further fixing. If you find the switch is a bit loose in the dash a couple of turns of tape will take up the gap. The ring cost £5.99, final look priceless....

Back