Cigar Lighter Socket - Power Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foghorn

Does anyone know if you can disable the power to the cigar socket so that it only works when the ignition key is in?

I have a new bluetooth hands free and whilst I kept the old hands free in all the time I'm worried with this one that if it keeps searching for the phone when the car is parked up it will wear down the battery?

I know the simple answer is to unplug it but would rather keep it attached. Other option is to fit a toggle switch for the ciggy lighter but not sure how I would get to the wires.

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

You mean you'll wear down the car's battery?

I'm assuming you drive your car quite frequently (say: more than about once every 2 weeks). In that case I would not worry about a thing, at all.
Bluetooth devices require very little power (from a car point of view). So I don't think it could cause problems, even if left for weeks.
I personally keep my GPS receiver powered all the time. No probs, although I drive my car just about every day.

For a scientific approach: does the device have any 'power rating' written on it?

If so, divide 80 (the capacity of the A2's battery in Ah, Amp Hours) by the power rating in Amps (A) of the device. That will give you the number of hours that a fully functioning battery could power your device. Halve that figure and you will be really safe.

Example:
- device says '12v, 200mA'
- calculation gives 80 divided by 0.2 = 400 hours.

That's 20 days!

HTH,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Swiv - Many thanks. The max power of the device is 250mAh so that will give me 320hrs. I would anticipate that this max power will only be when its functioning with the phone (?) - but in any event I drive my car every day or at least every other day so I'll leave it connected.

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

That's right. Standby power will be far lower than while having to operate the speaker and such.

But it's theoretical of course and there are other things in the car that remain powered, but in this case the margin is so incredibly wide that you can feel 100% confident in leaving the device plugged in for many days without driving a mile.

And now go and enjoy the ease of bluetooth handsfree, Brian ;)

Regards,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back