Classic Car Weekly A2 buyers guide

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
A bit of good news for us all. I have had a friendly chat this afternoon with Chris Randall of Classic Car weekly. He is putting together an A2 buyers guide which will hopefully be published at the start of July. He sounded very enthusiastic about our little cars and its very exciting to be featured in such a high profile classic car publication.

Tdi 75 Sport

Interesting. There are 13,500 left in the UK (taxed and SORN) out of 18,000 odd originally sold.

I wonder how many owners think they drive a classic car and how many think they drive an old car and can't wait to 'trade up' to a new Eurobox?

. He is putting together an A2 buyers guide which will hopefully be published at the start of July.

Tdi 75 Sport
Please remind members when this issue comes out. I purchased the recent Autocar issue with the A2 article and that's been added to my mini-library of magazines with A2 content!

David

That's an unusually high survival rate (hardly surprising).

Yes a really brilliant figure of survival. I wonder how that would compare on relative ratio to the numbers of superminis registered of the era (206/Corsa /Fiesta).

It's club philosophy to contribute to preservation of as many numbers as possible however its also realistic that many keepers will scrap an older car due to the cost of a few consumables at MOT time. Thus rendering a decent motor that could have some love and life polished back into it on the proverbial scrap heap.

Its not helpful either when the community is viewed as a source of income for salvage parts when the club doesn't have any control of the source of these bits and if decent cats (cars)!! are being put to the sword for a profit.

Sorry I'm getting contentious but feel quite passionate about this. We've long had an unwritten rule of ethical breaking /upcycling and we will look to add some regulation to this for items advertised on our website.
How that looks and feels and works in practice is under discussion but its required. Particularly at this 20th anniversary and the car ages gracefully with classic status on the horizon.

And then there is the scrappage schemes that will come and go coupled with political direction on fossil fuels. But I'm no going there just now!!!!

Long live the classic A2. ?

Last edited:
Hi Murdo

Best change the typo in the middle paragraph before the Cats protection league see this.

Mind you, even as a cat lover I've still been tempted to put our moggies to the sword when they dug up our newly sown flower bed or decided to scrabble up the bonnet and snooze on top of the freshly polished car

Cheers Spike

Hi Murdo

Best change the typo in the middle paragraph before the Cats protection league see this.

Mind you, even as a cat lover I've still been tempted to put our moggies to the sword when they dug up our newly sown flower bed or decided to scrabble up the bonnet and snooze on top of the freshly polished car

Cheers Spike
With that reply Spike the typo needs to stay as it is ??

The A2 buyers car guide in Classic car weekly is out today and it's an impressive two page article.

I think it's now time to stop saying "one day they will be a classic" that day is now here in my opinion.
Agreed. As an owners club we have some measure of influence there. So classic car it is. I like the sound of that ?

Why not go on the front foot and change the name of the club, to say A2 Owners Classic Car Club, or abbreviated a2occc!
Every Google club search hit will put 'Classic Car' on the screen and it will soon seep into mass consciousness as a matter of course.

Just an idea.

Andy

Last edited:
Why not go on the front foot and change the name of the club, to say A2 Owners Classic Car Club, or abbreviated a2occc!
Every Google club search hit will put 'Classic Car' on the screen and it will pass into mass consciousness as a matter of course.

Just an idea.

Andy

I think that is a cracking idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back