Chat Classic status and related

MacKWT

Evening all

just a short post. Seems like in every article on our wee wonders in the automotive press we are always assured they are “future classics”.
Yet I have never once spotted an A2 amongst the Classic Audis listing on eBay. Plenty of A8s, A6s and even A4s. But never spotted an A2.
so was wondering: do you think firm classic status would be a good thing? Or would it just inflate prices beyond the reach of some of us?

And if we did want classic status, would it be worth posting an Ad onto eBay under ‘classics’ as much to help cement the idea in folks minds that the A2 is genuinely classic worthy.
and finally; priced seem to be on the up. If this is not just my imagination, if this due to a crazy market or something else?

Answers on a postcard..l.

I would say that price hike is due to the current crazy market.
At least here in Slovenia A2s are still considered as more upmarket (premium Audi) cheap used cars. I have seen some adds with crazy prices, but they do not sell. Why? Because for the same price you can get 10 years old Clio, Fiesta, etc. And a rational buyer will buy that. According to my opinion that is the correct choice. I do envy the prices that you have in UK, they are really cheap in comparison to here.
Also an amortized car with 300.000 miles in my opinion cannot be a classic car, because it has already done its role. You could get it to the classic car condition, but you are better off to just buy a low mileage car. When the prices will go to 100.000 EUR, then it might be worth it. Or not.
My car has 68.000 miles and hopefully in 10 years it will get recognised as a classic, but it is still a long way to there. Also currently it is still relativelly cheap to maintain this little breaker :eek: , because you can still get used parts. With years when it will become economically not a good idea to use these cars for a cheap daily and they will get scrapped, the cost of keeping them on the road will become higher. That is why I am trying to stock up some parts :). Because I do not intend to sell it.

Last edited:
Back