Climate Control on the fritz

sco

A2OC Donor
My climate control seems to have developed a mind of it's own - temperature and air flow seems to wander about particularly when cornering?

So far I've scanned it with the following faults which reappear after being cleared;

00710 - Defroster Flap Positioning Motor (V107)
41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent
01272 - Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70)
41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent
00727 - Potentiometer in Positioning Motor for Defrost Flap (G135)
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
00601 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Central Flap (G112)
00600 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (G92)
00735 - Potentiometer in Positioning Motor for Air recirculation Flap (G143)

I've tried exercising it with the temp and direction buttons and also using VCDS but doesn't seem to get any better - do I need to keep repeating the exercise or does this point to a more fundamental problem?

Cheers,

Simon.

Eh yes and yes. Took my car on a half hour trip and while I drove a friend operated the switches to their extremes continually. By the end he was very bored ! By habit now I never use the Auto setting and always play with the switches on a regular basis. But as the positioning motors and potentiometers wear the internal tracks eventually wear away and the will need replacing. So,yes you could be making the problem worse by exercising them, or provide a cure that could last...

that does sound like a lot of errors to actually be the flap motors, this would mean that all four of suddenly failed which is rather unlikely. If exercising them makes no difference to any of them I smell a rat and think it could be the climate panel at fault (quite unusual)
I think I have one with very worn button in the garage so you could try that and see if it shifts the problem - let me know and I'll look it out for you

Cheers,
Paul

Something simple, check the connections on the back of the climate are fully home and secured. - Andy

My other half's car does this and has a long list of flap motor intermittent errors on VCDS-lite similar to the above. It also has a mind of its own, particularly when deciding when and where to send hot air to (unlike my car's occasional volcanic "stuck on full heat" problem). It's a single-DIN, and there was a terrible aftermarket radio with a couple of feet of adapter wiring plugged into the original loom forced in behind the radio when I removed and replaced it with a Chorus II. Bearing in mind that this would have been right above the connectors for the climate control within the dash, I'm wondering now (as you've suggested above) whether the previous radio installation could have slightly dislodged the connectors into the back of the climate unit. Sounds like a good reason to pull it out and investigate.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Andy - will check the connections on the back of the unit, easiest way I guess is by removing the cubby?

Paul - If the connectors are ok then an alternative unit would help to pinpoint the issue so thanks for the offer of the spare climate unit.

Robin - does sound similar to my car, when I go round a sharp corner I get either a blast of cold or hot air to the face as if something is suddenly disturbed or released - hoping it's the connector!

Simon.

With the ignition key in position 2 but engine not on, once the climate control wakes up you hear creaking and groaning noises from various bits of internal machinery as if various flaps are moving every few seconds and the airflow increases and decreases from various different vents randomly when you are driving, particularly if trying to direct heated airflow to clear a misty window. This is without the fan speed indication changing. Paul and Andrew's comments above make a lot of sense (i.e. loosened connections being made / broken with car motion rather than a completely knackered unit) - obviously there may also be other actual issues due to age but plugs being fully clicked home is easy to check to start with.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Andy - will check the connections on the back of the unit, easiest way I guess is by removing the cubby?

Paul - If the connectors are ok then an alternative unit would help to pinpoint the issue so thanks for the offer of the spare climate unit.

Robin - does sound similar to my car, when I go round a sharp corner I get either a blast of cold or hot air to the face as if something is suddenly disturbed or released - hoping it's the connector!

Simon.
Yes remove cubby BUT first open ashtray, probably better to remove ashtray (some screws) - Andy

Back