climate control panel

jembob

Hi,

Looking to tidy-up the interior of my car - has anyone replaced the switch panel for an SE climate control unit? I've got worn switches and I'd like to bring it back to new - basically the markings have started to wear off!:)

Asked an Audi dealer today and the only solution from them is to buy a new climate unit at £400+VAT!! I'm searching the breakers yards so if I come across anything I'll let you know - I think changing just the switches isn't going to work.

Hi all
the fascia on some of the A4's(can't remember the model year,but not the latest or pre-face lift model) is the same style but the buttons are finished in a satin black(not matt black like the A2's are).
The buttons themselves:temp & fan speed just flick out from either the top or bottom when you insert a fine blade or similar.
I temporarily have some of these from a A4 fitted until I can find some A2 ones to replace them with.

Hi jembob

I think there are at least 2 styles of climate control unit (with and without heated seat controls) so be careful if buying from a breakers. If you get a replacement (new or old) it will need programming by your dealer, or a friendly Vag-Com owner.
Another possibility for refurb is the 'ChipsAway' type franchise. They can repair and touch in plastic dashboards and bumpers etc so they may be able to do something with the climate panel.

Cheers Spike

Spike - why is programming needed? Does a new or nearly new unit not simply plug in? AS with many things A2 they are not as simple as they at first appear...! Still love the car tho'

Hi jembob
The CC unit monitors and controls air distribution around the cabin using motorised flaps to vary the quantity and direction of airflow. Programming is required to calibrate the settings of the position sensors for the servo motors etc so they respond correctly to the various temp sensor and manual inputs like screen demisting. I't's possible a second hand unit may work reasonably well without a recal but I suspect a new unit will be devoid of any settings at all.
It appears that every module on the car, from the steering position sensor to the instrument panel needs calibrating if replaced - not great for us DIY'ers.

Cheers Spike

Success!

Spike,

Just took the old unit out and it seems that you can remove the front switch panel from the electronics by undoing 6 small star-head screws (4 at top, 2 below). At first glance these screw positions seem to be the same as those on the as-new A3 climate unit I bought off ebay, which fits the A2 dash. Basically I should be able to take the A3 panel cover off, put it back on the A2 backpiece (thus keeping the old electronics as they were) and hey presto - new switches!

I'll keep you posted. If this works then it's the cheaper way to go as A3 climate units are more available than genuine A2 pieces.

Too optimistic

Optimism needs some balance - the A3 unit fits in the bottom section of the A2 dash (where the cubby-hole would normally sit above the ashtray) but then widens too much by about 5mm - looks like some wet and dry will be required..

Back