Cloned registration

Richard_3L

United-Kingdom
Just a warning to others not to show registration numbers on their adverts where possible. Perhaps highlight relevant MOT etc.. in the advert itself.

The seller I bought mine off of two months ago left the advert up with the reg, and I've been the victim of a cloned registration with a driving infringement. Might not be the last either.

Thankfully in my case the guilty A2 had different alloys and no panoramic roof, but otherwise it would have been difficult to dispute!

It is now supposed to be "impossible" to get number plates made without the V5 and other forms of identifcation so obviously dealing with low lifes!!
Bit harsh! Never shown a V5 for any of my number plates.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I fear the ‘show plate’ loophole is often exploited by those who would choose to clone plates and the suppliers who choose to supply them.

I think that with todays technology if such thing happens it shouldn't be so hard to prove that its not you/your car....everyone tracks us ...

there are hundreds of thousands of car adverts all showing the number plate.
plates covered up are rare and put people off buying as you cant do a check on history/mot/hpi
you could get cloned just driving around showing your plate so its daft imo.
i did have an issue a few years ago , same number on a guernsey registered mini.
but he got cought by the police.
on a forum like this one is pretty safe, but i understand why.
PM from another interested forum member for the reg is ok.

Had a notice of prosecution about 4 years ago for an offence in London. Rang up the contact number and asked them to check the photo evidence which they did (Peugeot 207 rather than my Audi) and then informed me that the numberhad been wrongly interpreted!

I had it years ago with a ford galaxy that was bought without mot, tax or insurance and recovered to my mum and dads in Yorkshire where it remained off the road without any of the above. A few months later I got a letter of intended prosecution from on offence in Wales.
It was stressful as I was applying for a new job at the time and it was obviously a miss read plate no one in their right mind would clone a sorned etc vehicle. Eventually it was confirmed I was innocent but I got a load of hassle and stress without doing anything wrong and I didn't even get an apology!!

A few years later a customer who had bought a van from the sales team returned to question his number plates, turns out when they had renewed the number plates they had mixed up a couple of digits making his fiesta van an Audi A5! This was never noticed on anpr!!

I have never been asked for my V5 when ordering plates off a well known auction site ;-)
Having said that, I did drive a company car for four years with different plates front and rear, it was a brand new car and the dealer had put one plate wrong on both the new cars, the other owner was also blissfully aware that they had different plates on theirs...and here is me thinking I am a stickler for attention to detail!!!!!

My RS3 was cloned, someone had ordered "Show Plates" and was riding around under my tax and insurance in London. Its only when TFL (transport for London) contacted my insurance company to claim for the set of traffic lights i'd smashed through?? I realise id had my reg cloned. I had to prove it was not me and my insurance company insisted on photo evidence and even sent an insurance assessor to my door to check that my car was the "real car" and not damaged in any way and had not been repaired. It stayed on my records for 2 years, well that was the excuse to charge me more premiums.

Moral of the story be aware - Loopholes to get away without paying tax or insurance are out there... and criminal use them

Maybe lucky I have short private no plates on all my cars, making them a bit less likely to get clowned, I cant see another black A2 with a 5 digit number plate, but then anything is possible these days.

Just a warning to others not to show registration numbers on their adverts where possible. Perhaps highlight relevant MOT etc.. in the advert itself.

The seller I bought mine off of two months ago left the advert up with the reg, and I've been the victim of a cloned registration with a driving infringement. Might not be the last either.

Thankfully in my case the guilty A2 had different alloys and no panoramic roof, but otherwise it would have been difficult to dispute!
Second penalty charge notice received today. Another 30 mins waiting to report to police (on hold) to get CAD number and then 10 mins to dispute the TFL online.

Couldn't see alloys in image, but at least solid roof showing.

Hope they catch them.

Second penalty charge notice received today. Another 30 mins waiting to report to police (on hold) to get CAD number and then 10 mins to dispute the TFL online.

Couldn't see alloys in image, but at least solid roof showing.

Hope they catch them.
I’d SORN my A2 if this were going on. That way he may get pulled over. Doesn’t help if your A2 is a daily.

Really feel your pain this is awful! good excuse to get an "A2" reg but obviously it's a few hundred quid for the cheapest ones, hope this goes away quickly!!

Back