Chat Clunk when turning engine off 2004 TDI 90

rubenjennings

Hi all, I have a 2004 (54) 1.4 TDI 90 on 136,000 miles. It has recently developed a sudden singular clunk when turning the engine off. It shudders the whole car. No symptoms when turning the engine on, only off. Am I right in thinking this could be engine mounts? If so, how big of a job is it on the A2?
Thanks all

Take hold of a cold engine and give it a good shake. If it moves noticeably then yes you have a problem. Start with the dog bone, not too expensive and available.

Hi all, I have a 2004 (54) 1.4 TDI 90 on 136,000 miles. It has recently developed a sudden singular clunk when turning the engine off. It shudders the whole car. No symptoms when turning the engine on, only off. Am I right in thinking this could be engine mounts? If so, how big of a job is it on the A2?
Thanks all
Anti shudder valve possibly?

Take hold of a cold engine and give it a good shake. If it moves noticeably then yes you have a problem. Start with the dog bone, not too expensive and available.
Thank you, I’ve just tried this and the engine feels completely solid with no movement at all. May investigate dog bone insert

Possibly, the engine is completely smooth when driving though. Not entirely sure what the symptoms of a failed anti shudder valve are if I’m honest
Shuddering, it’s a combined unit with the egr valve , it could just be a vacuum hose off the actuator located behind rocker cover under scuttle panel.

Sounds like the ASV to me. Had this on my BHC, it also affected the performance (both power and Fuel efficiency).
stripped gears meant the ASV which also acts to throttle the volume of air flow needed rebuilding. On the BHC the ASV is separate from the EGR so relatively simple.

I have this exact same issue with my silver AMF, changed dog bone mount no difference (was a used part from my other car whilst waiting for the new part to arrive, the noise wasn't present on the car it came from)

slight correction to a post above, on the BHC and ATL engines the EGR and ASV are NOT a combined unit, they are seperate units. the EGR attaches to the inlet manifold, then a spacer tube then the ASV
The syptoms you describe are 100% spot on for a failed ASV, likely the gear teeth on the quadrant gear are broken or the motor is swimming in oil.

Paul

Support Paul's view - exactly the same issue with my 2005 TDI Sport a couple of years ago - WOM sorted it out.

slight correction to a post above, on the BHC and ATL engines the EGR and ASV are NOT a combined unit, they are seperate units. the EGR attaches to the inlet manifold, then a spacer tube then the ASV
The syptoms you describe are 100% spot on for a failed ASV, likely the gear teeth on the quadrant gear are broken or the motor is swimming in oil.

Paul
Only a guess from an AMF owner duly noted though.
👍

Back