Clunking sound from suspension

john-wingnut

The above has recently started to plague my A2.

Say Im turning left or right, the wheels turned, and going over bumpy ground I get a nasty clunking sound from the front suspension. Im not entirely sure which side but it sounds bad.

I have the new style ARB and new bushings fitted last summer. My suspension was also done last summer too, so thats all relatively new.

I occasionally get it when driving straight with quick successive bumps etc, but only really very audible when wheels are turned

Any ideas?

John

You say you had the suspension changed last summer, were the drop link changed as part of this? If not these may be causing the problem.

Could it be something in the steering rack?? I have been experiencing the same problems. I guess it depends how quickly you are moving and how far the wheels are turned when going over bumpy ground. I do a bit of autotesting (sometimes with my a2 :D, its remarkably nimble skidding around cones!) but I have heard that if you are accelerating/moving quickly with the wheels turned it can put alot of stress through the cv joint, shaft and steering rack.

Or it could be as simple as a very well hidden break in the spring. We have 3 A2s in our street and we have had to replace the springs in 2 of them and the cracks were very well hidden near the top of the spring. Once the springs were off the cars I had a look and they appeared to have tiny imperfections in the metal from when they were manufactured as they still had paint on them and weren't visibly rusted on the outside....

Hope that helps!

Hi John, I had this problem on my 03 reg. But mine was every time I went over a speed hump or a huge pot hole ( as we know in this country they are common ) then eventually it developed to every time the car was moving.
I took it to the garage and was shocked to hear it was the engine mount bolts has sheered off inside the engine. So that knocking noise was in fact my engine moving ( not good at all ).

This could be the start ( hope it isn't for you but worth a chech ) because mine at first was a slight knocking noise from which I though the suspension.... And gradually turned in to horrific clunking.

Thanks

Ross

Springs are fine, and only 10 months old. This is very audible clunking, metal on metal, say a nail being shaken in a tin can, but not a tinny noise lol

Engine mounts- will check those

It only seems to be caused when bumps are in quick succession driving say 20-30mph. Everytime i turn into my drive its slightly bumpy and this is when its most evident

John

Back