Clutch slipping

Mike.M

A2OC Donor
Hi all,
I recently noticed the clutch on my tdi is slipping.
Any ideas as to the likely cost of replacement, please.

Cheers
Mike

How much to get it done by a garage?

Also
Is it necessary to have new pressure plate or can I just renew the friction disk?

Cheers

Last edited:
How much to get it done by a garage?

Also
Is it necessary to have new pressure plate or can I just renew the friction disk?

Cheers
It is strongly recommended to change the complete unit, including the release bearing etc. They will be worn and so even if OK now, you may find that in a few thousand miles you have problems and have to get the gearbox off again to replace minor parts.

I think that you would be looking at in the region of £300 for a new clutch fitted by a good independent.

Steve B

I had the clutch on Albus done last week (1.4 Petrol) £348 fitted.

This was an LUK clutch Rep kit which included the standard 3 pieces as well as the top hat, arm and spring.

This was in Cornwall so you will have to adjust for your area. Some kits you buy are only 3 piece. You also have to take into consideration trying to change the clutch yourself/on your own and lugging a gearbox about and re-aligning it etc.

as Neil50 stated, you really should change the Top hat, the release bearing slides on this and it gets scored quite badly
You should also check the ball ended pivot bolt and the cross arm, if ANY signs of wear then replace them as they are a cause of clutch bearing failure, and are cheap parts. If ordering from Audi there is a spring clip that MUST be ordered seperatly
Also suggest fitting an LUK clutch as it was originally used by Audi and mine cover 272K miles and was only changed due to clutch bearing failure

Thanks Neil,

A couple of years ago I might have undertaken doing it myself but now - at 77 - getting up from under the car is getting more difficult by the day.

Cheers

My garage also had to drain the coolant as they had to remove one of the pipes that went straight across the gearbox, so this adds added complication to the job as well as the expense if you do it yourself.

Back