Cold Starting & Running Issue

FourtyRoy

A2OC Donor
Hi There

Had an issue that started last Winter (see thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8842) of which Skipton, Spike & others contributed and there was much discussed around the fuel filter causing problems.

Well with the renewed cold snap my problems have returned and on Thursday I have a major service (Cambelt etc.) booked in and hope that if this is relative this may rectify my problem.

BUT

I now have a further cold running issue which is becoming quite worrying. Once I have got the A2 started the first few miles (even it has been sitting whilst I defrost) I am losing power akin to losing a cylinder or similar.

This morning was the worst, started OK but as my journey got underway I lost a lot of power and pulled onto the hard shoulder to contemplate my fate! I decided to continue as it has been ‘hesitant’ before this and fine when warm. As I pulled away my ABS/Traction Control warning lights came up and thought now what! Pulled over again and killed the Engine, restarted, warning lights out and Engine ran smooth and continued my 45 mile journey without missing a beat.

I will bring this up on the service but wondering if anybody has had similar issues or aware of to give me a heads up (I have seen also that Injector looms have given problems, is this consistent with my problem?)

Regards

Roy

Thinking out aloud, if the injector loom could be the problem and I'm having the Cambelt etc. done on Thursday it must surely be cost effective to have this done at the same time!

Thanks Dan, I shall run this by the Garage tomorrow and see how they will cost it! (I could do it myself but when most bits are already off it seems to make sense).

I guess the only question is as long as there's a loom available to get my hands on quickly.

Hi Roy
It would make sense to do it at the same time. When I ordered mine in November the part was in stock so they were able to post it out to me next day, so I think if you are able to get them to order the part tomorrow they'll have it in time for your work.

I would estimate a mechanic would say 1.5 hours to do the job in isolation, so hopefully given the other engine work you've got going on they would only charge you an extra 1 hour of labour.

Thinking out aloud, if the injector loom could be the problem and I'm having the Cambelt etc. done on Thursday it must surely be cost effective to have this done at the same time!
QUOTE]

Sorry to say cambelt replacement does not involve removal of the rocker cover so its unlikely there would be much of a cost benefit in doing the injector wiring loom at the same time.
The injector loom is a possiblity but I'd also check for a faulty engine temp sensor before splashing out on parts.
Let us know how you get on

Cheers Spike

Just a thought.WD40

It appears theres some confidence that it could be related to this injector loom. How about having a look at all the connectors condition unplug spray with a little WD40 and see if this improves matters. It might save you £60 and also get you aquainted with the next task of replacing the loom itself.

Good luck.

Regards Malcolm

Thanks for the input so far. I have a little time on my hands tomorrow so providing I don't get frostbite!! I shall have a preliminary play (connector most likely first port of call).

I am assuming the Engine temp sensor has no connection with the internal gauge for coolant temp?

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy
There are sensors for fuel temp, intake manifold temp and coolant temp.
The coolant temp sensor has a dual function. If faulty I think the temperature gauge can read correctly while the signal to the engine ECU can be incorrect.
Not sure about the coolant and fuel sensors but a faulty intake manifold temp sensor can cause the engine to go into limp home mode.
As your problem seems to be temperature related these are things worth checking - and should show up on a diagnostic scan if suspect.

Cheers Spike

Thought I would give an update on this at this instant in time.

Have just returned from a major service (cambelt etc.) and asked the garage to look into my probs.

The diagnostic code was 18074 which is injector No.1 and they fully endorse the injector wiring loom as the first port of call. Currently all is well but if it plays up again they have quoted a figure that may be better than me scraping around in inclimate weather doing it myself.

Rather than dragging this particular thread on I am going to post an item about my cold starting issue which I've not yet seen on here and may be a warning and just some positive info for the guys who did my service, cambelt etc. (esp. if you live in Surrey area).

Regards

Roy

Back